The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10 gal with blue green algae and want to treat it with EM tablets. I know they work because I had it years before and it totally went away, but I have no other tank to move the CPOs into. 2 of the females are carrying eggs. So I am afraid to mess with the set up. Does anyone know if EM tablets would hurt the CPOs? Beside the CPOs there are only a few MTSs and a couple of assassins snails. I can move the assassins and the EM tablets did not kill the MTSs last time I used it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
If you can figure out the root cause of the BGA you might not have to use the tablets. What are your parameters, lighting period, and maintenance schedule? Is the tank fairly new? A lack of nitrate can lead to BGA outbreaks.

·
Are these real?
15,750 Posts
I can't remember anyone reporting issues or deaths after doing the EM treatment for BGA (which is usually done at 1/2 the dose used for fungal treatment). So it seems like it is relatively safe.

One thing to keep an eye on are any ammonia/nitrite spikes, which could be caused by dead/dying cyanobacteria, especially in smaller tanks. I don't think EM wipes out the N-bacteria in your filter, but its capacity might get overwhelmed, depending on how thick the cyano mats are.

Might be a good idea to vacuum out as much BGA as possible before starting the treatment, make sure your filter is working at its best, you keep up with the recommended daily 10% WC, and keep some tests handy to check and respond with increased WC if anything spikes up.

It's all good to look for root causes of BGA, problem is once you got it, it is difficult to convince to leave, even with elevating N and circulation and oxygenation and such.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The tank has been set up for 5 or 6 years. It never had fish in it only shrimp and for the last year CPOs, currently only 3 of them. It's a 10 gal with only a sponge filter so circulation is most likely the problem. I do weekly water changes of about 25%. There is only BGA growing on a wooden log and a couple of floating plants so far but it is growing. I removed a lot of it manually yesterday. I did the EM treatment on another tank a few years back and it totally wiped out the BGA. I have 19 tanks and this is only the second time in 12 years that this stuff showed up. If I had fish in it I would have treated the tank already I am just worried that the CPOs might drop the eggs. But I guess I will chance if. The tank sits next to a window and a black out is almost impossible. I can do daily water changes that is not a problem at all.

·
Premium Member
1,885 Posts
I have used EM on shrimp tanks in the past and had no problems so it shouldn't impact them unless the dying cyano pollutes your water. I would try and manually remove everything you can first and then dosing.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I remember a good size water change and some carbon after the treatment time of 24-48 hrs?

When I had it in my 90g pretty bad it was at it's worse on the substrate right under the filter output so I've ruled out flow.

I'll still get it some when I let the stems take over half of the tanks surface and I'm lax with the ferts. I can smell it when I walk into the room. lol

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I smell it when I open the tank lid. I started dosing yesterday and then again today after I got home from work. Tomorrow I will do a 25% water change and dose once more. So far the BGA does not seem to be affected but neither are the CPOs and both girls still have their eggs.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.