The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
By "dwarfed" I mean plants that originally came from larger plants, but were made to grow smaller. I've gotten this to happen from floating leaves that developed into plants, and single-node stem cuttings (which happened to include both roots and leaves) that grew into minature versions of the regular sized plants. I have dwarfed ludwigia repens that is about 1.5" tall (after a 1" trim 3 months ago) and perfectly healthy a year after the initial cutting was taken.

I'm wanting to know because I'm planning on breaking down that particular pico tank and selling the plants. I'm trying to figure out whether to label that stuff as regular or dwarf L. repens.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
A stunted plant is not genetically altered. Given time, it will get full size.
If sufficiently stunted it may never get AS large as a normal one. But it's offspring will be much more normal.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Any major change (especially being placed in a new tank) can trigger a "trained" plant to revert to its natural growth pattern.

Training a plant is different from "stunting" a plant- which implies some sort of deficiency or sub-optimal conditions.

But the answer is no- you do not have "dwarf" L. repens.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.