The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will Driftwood ever stop making the Aquarium brown(without Purigen)?

In other words, will it ever stop releasing tanning and such into the water.

I had some driftwood that I like boiled for like 24 hours and every pot of water I emptied was almost dark dark brown. Eventually I figured it was good enough and put the wood in my tank. Everything seem good for about a week then the water started to turn brownish.

I am wondering if it will ever stop. Perhaps my activated carbon was keeping the tannin in the water at bay but eventually ran out of surface area.

It is basically the chemical known as tannin even run out or is it the wood liquefying and decaying into the water?

I love the look of the driftwood but hate the color of the water.

Thanks.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
This is where I often disagree with some on how wood works. I find the color and wood to be much, much slower than many expect. Some basics for me are that it takes many, many years for wood to totally dry unless we use a kiln and even then we find the wood we buy at the store still has lots of moisture. The moisture is throughout the wood but much is near the surface and just under the bark. That part is the easy part to remove.
The second item I see is that wood is quite a good insulator and it takes a long time for heat to transfer through a piece of wood that is maybe 4" thick.
So when we boil wood to get the color out, how long does one really have to boil it for the heat to penetrate through more than the top inch or two? A week or more? So if we use boiling to remove the color, do we really get all the color out or just out of the top layers? Boiling seems to me to be a temporary fix that will remove the color for a bit but as the moisture from inside works it's way out, we may still have trouble.

I find the way for me to avoid color troubles, is to choose the wood very carefully to make certain it is dry all the way through rather than just the outside layers. Buying wood for fireplaces can be a way to understand that there are many levels of dry when speaking of wood. Wood that is cut and split this year will not burn. Wait until next year and the wood may burn better but if you want to have a good hot fire quickly, a couple years will be more likely. Wood is not all the same and doesn't dry at the same speed so it varies but to get a stick of firewood that is totally dry, it is not unusual to have to wait longer than most of us want to wait to use wood in our tanks.
I let nature do the drying and then go find what it has served up for me.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I boil the [censor] out of new wood and don't have issues with the tannins making the tank tea colored/black water. Boiling wood is like putting it on fast forward and pulling out most of the tannins very quickly. If you have large wood that won't fit in a pot on a stove, using a propane burner and a large metal feeder bucket works well

·
Registered
5 Posts
All I can say is yes. In my nano it took about a week with carbon. (Sat for years and was not very thick). And I have one now. That at its thickest is about 6 to 8 inches thick. It has been in my tank for about two months. With daily water changes 30% No carbon. And after today's water change the water is looking the most clear it ever has (I know it still isn't clear) But I am satisfied were it is. Finally!!! My wife isn't the biggest fan of my fish obsession so now that it doesn't look like I took my morning pee in it. She might enjoy it a little. :)

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.