The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I have some Rasbora Espei and Neocaridina shrimp in my 12 gal and was looking at options for compatible fish. I know people love their Corys. How are they with carpeting plants though? I planted micranthemum 'monte carlo' using the dry start method, waited 6 weeks, and filled it 6 weeks ago. The carpet actually filled in really nicely and I don't want to have it torn up. But if they play nicely they could be an interesting addition to the bottom level of the tank.

I haven't had a planted tank before so looking for some insight, thanks!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah I was thinking about a couple Bandit Corydoras (Corydoras metae) but maybe I'd be better off with salt and pepper cories? I didn't realize that they are at least 1/2" smaller. So those would be safe with carpeting plants? Thanks.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Which salt-and-pepper cories do you mean? Corydoras Habrosus, the tiny little guys who get maybe 3/4" long, would fit very well. You need at least 6, preferably more, and they need room to move- which is why you can't keep a larger species, they'd be a bit cramped.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks Betta. Yeah I was thinking about Corydoras Habrosus since they're small but still stick to the bottom of the tank like larger corys. OK so 6 would be a good number? Was thinking 4 or 5 but wasn't sure how many are needed to make them comfortable.

·
Banned
90 Posts
Thanks Betta. Yeah I was thinking about Corydoras Habrosus since they're small but still stick to the bottom of the tank like larger corys. OK so 6 would be a good number? Was thinking 4 or 5 but wasn't sure how many are needed to make them comfortable.
4 or 5 would be fine to start with, in my experience. Corydora habrosus have great personalities, not shy at all. In my 5 gallon I started out with just 2 and the pair of them were perfectly content with each others company. Now I have 5 because I love them so much :) They all hang out together of course, but I wouldn't say they're any happier now then before.

Also, the cores never managed to disturb my monte carlo.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Great to hear that there are a couple of you guys that have personal experience with keeping (dwarf) Cories and Monte Carlo. Really appreciate the insight. Maybe I'll wait another couple of weeks to ensure that there are strong roots just to be safe though. Guess I'll get 5 or 6 Habrosus or Hastatus then.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts