The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,I have a CRS tank without anything to cool the water down and i live in malaysia...the water is about 27C and i would like to make the water cooler and having a chiller is just way to expensive...if i use cooling fans,will it lower the temperature?(btw,its a small tank)thx :D

·
Registered
28 Posts
The air temperature and the water temperature will be in equilibium. If you can cool the air in the room with a fan, the water tempretaure will go down as well. I don't think that directing the fan at the water will help.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
forget what /\ said
yes blowing fans over the water surface will decrease water temp due to more evaporation.

·
Registered
382 Posts
I use a computer fan on my 100g tank to cool it down during the summers. It's very effective at lowering the temperatures.

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
the only issue here is that sometimes the fans blow dust and other schmootz into the tank.

This isn't much of a problem. If you have an open top tank, you probably get as much dust in there as you would with a fan.

Yes, a fan blowing across the water will cool down the tank significantly. Keep some frozen water bottles in the freezer and put them in the tank on the really hot days if the fans won't do the trick.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
haha...thx guys...and if you can help me with another thing...please go to inverebrats and look at my other thread about breeding CRS in small tanks...thx again :D

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hey....i just bought a cooling fan just now..i was wondering...how long am i suppose to on it per day? or can i just leave it there 24/7?

·
Registered
382 Posts
the only issue here is that sometimes the fans blow dust and other schmootz into the tank.
I did notice a thin film of "crud" on top of my water while I was running the fans. It didn't bother me much though. The fish didn't seem to suffer from it either.

hey....i just bought a cooling fan just now..i was wondering...how long am i suppose to on it per day? or can i just leave it there 24/7?
It depends on the ambient room temperature and size of tank, I'd like to think. I left mine on 24/7 because the room was pretty hot 24/7, and it was a rather larger volume of water.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It depends on the ambient room temperature and size of tank, I'd like to think. I left mine on 24/7 because the room was pretty hot 24/7, and it was a rather larger volume of water.
mine is just a small 3-5 gallon tank...but if i leave it on 24/7,will the motor overheat or sumthin? and btw,can CRS breed in 26C?
thanks

1 - 12 of 12 Posts