The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad has been admiring my planted tank for a while, and talks about getting plants for his tank, but has never actually done so. While I was at a swap meet this weekend I bought a gorgeous, very large, Anubias Barteri. It was so large that I only had room for 2/3 of it in the tank. Without researching it I foolishly offered it to my dad, and told him that it should be okay with the common pleco (Hypostomus plecostomus) that he insist on keeping in his tank. Now I'm starting to doubt if this is true. I'd hate to give him this plant, just for it to be a pricey snack for his pleco. Has anyone ever kept a pleco with Broadleaf Anubias?

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
My plecos don't do much to any of my plants including my anubias.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I can't speak for common pleco, but I kept a leopard sailfin pleco (Pterygoplichthys gibbicep) that devoured the roots of my anubias nana when he was small as well as the leaves of java fern... mind you these fish was over fed if anything with veggies and algae wafers.. it still went after plants.
Btw common plecos get to 24" long and need 300g+ tanks.. if they don't die from stunting-being kept in too small of a tank resulting in no body growth but organs still grow(very painful way to die), starvation from being expected to survive only on tank algae-that's like you eating only 1-2 pieces of iceburge lettuce a day with a lot of effort to get it, or poor water quality (omg sooo much poop!!) first.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Btw common plecos get to 24" long and need 300g+ tanks.. if they don't die from stunting-being kept in too small of a tank resulting in no body growth but organs still grow(very painful way to die), starvation from being expected to survive only on tank algae-that's like you eating only 1-2 pieces of iceburge lettuce a day with a lot of effort to get it, or poor water quality (omg sooo much poop!!) first.
I've told him a lot of that info already, he still thinks it should be in there. He's had one in every tank he's ever had, sized 10 gallon to the 75 he currently has. He also doesn't feed it anything and expects it to "scavenge" for food. It's been in there for about 2 years now and it's probably 4-6" long. I'm half tempted to arrange for it to "mysteriously vanish", but I'd worry that he's just go out and buy another one. On the plus side if I do give him the plant I'm attaching it to a hard very solid 14" long, 4-6" thick piece of wood that the pleco can gnaw on.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
I've told him a lot of that info already, he still thinks it should be in there. He's had one in every tank he's ever had, sized 10 gallon to the 75 he currently has. He also doesn't feed it anything and expects it to "scavenge" for food. It's been in there for about 2 years now and it's probably 4-6" long. I'm half tempted to arrange for it to "mysteriously vanish", but I'd worry that he's just go out and buy another one. On the plus side if I do give him the plant I'm attaching it to a hard very solid 14" long, 4-6" thick piece of wood that the pleco can gnaw on.
Wow so small in 2 years? The pleco will have bad stunting already. My leopard sailfin (max out at 18") was already 13" in 2 years. I rehomed mine as the canister filter could not keep up with the poop (clogged a few times a week) and this was with every other day wc to remove poop. I found a group with much larger tanks and proper pleco keeping experience so he got a good home.
Btw-plecos are catfish so if it was a but larger you could humanely kill 'em then have fried catfish for dinner, mmmm.

·
Registered
5,741 Posts
Ha, if anything *that* I might be able to convince my dad of. I've never seen him pass on catfish.:hihi:
I gave that as an option for my husband before I found the group for my pleco. I don't eat fish (never have) but he loves fried catfish. He saw it as too much of a pet to do that (don't think he wanted to kill and butcher the fish himself-would rather get processed strips of catfish to batter and fry). I bet mine would have tasted gooood, got a lot of quality noms for the 2 years he was here.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.