The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know weird question. I ask because I just found a 1 gallon bowl with a stem on clearance for $4. I'm planning on doing a shrimp bowl in it, with a few Cherry Red Shrimp. Between my kids and my cat I don't trust anything in the house to be without a lid. While I was experimenting with different things to put on top of the bowl I discovered that the lid from the coffee can was a perfect fit. The concern is that even after washing it with vinegar it still has a strong coffee smell. I'm probably going to run an air stone or sponge filter in the bowl. This will probably lead to condensation on the lid dripping back into the bowl. Do you think that this will be safe for the shrimp. I could soak it in bleach overnight if it's necessary.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
I don't know if the concentration is enough for shrimp but yes, coffee will kill them. Coffee contains high levels of caffeine, which causes the heart pumps of invertebrates to overwork and fail.
Basically, caffeine gives shrimp heart attacks.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Just the smell of the coffee from the lid I think is a nonissue. I wouldn't brew up a cup and dump it in though. They are hyper enough at it is, haha. Knowing cherrys, they would probably eat a coffee bean if you tossed it in there, though again, not recommended.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
I have a 10g with cherry shrimp, maybe I should grind up some of my home roasted costa rican beans and see if they like it. Imagine turbo charged shrimp. I am battling scuds in that tank, can you imagine those little buggers with a caffeine buzz? Entertainment at its finest!!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.