The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have been trying to increase the CO2 in my 69G aquarium (current pH 7.2, kh around 6) and am currently using a ladder style JBL diffuser. I have tried to position the diffuser in various places in relation to the filter spraybar and whilst the bubbles get smaller I end up with a lot of gas collecting at the top of the spiral.
I currently have the spraybar running vertically down the back corner of the tank with the diffuser sitting in the current of it. Is this a good idea, or should I try another position? I am also looking into whether changing to a ceramic diffuser would help me out, in particular this one: http://www.aquaessentials.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=196_197&products_id=502.

Does anyone have any suggestions? Any help really appreciated.

·
Registered
711 Posts
I don't use a ladder diffuser but the diffuser in the link should make an improvement in the co2 level in your tank.
Do you have a lot of surface agitation? if you do ,try to reduce it to small ripples.
you could also install the inlet of your filter Right above the diffuser or place a powerhead there.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Just a suggestion but have you tried using a traditional Hagen bubble ladder with your pressurized system? You may get better results because the Hagen ladder provides a much longer path for the bubbles to go than your spiral diffuser.

I've run both a nano diffuser and Hagen ladder and I have to say that I get much better diffusion using the Hagen ladder than I ever did with the nano diffuser even though there are still small CO2 bubbles that escape and are undissolved.

At 1bps and a KH of 7 I can get my PH to go down to 6.7 in my 10G.

If you don't like the bulkiness of the ladder you could try using a ceramic positioned just below the intake of your filter. I've tried it that way as well but it's nowhere as good as the Hagen ladder.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have tried to reduce the surface agitation as much as possible, moving the spraybar vertical was one of the first things I did to cut this down.
The diffusor I currently use came with the set so I haven't tried any others, the only thing I've done is add as many segments as possible to increase the length.

Should I have the diffusor next to the inlet of the filter instead of the outflow as present? My inlet is currently in one back corner, the spraybar in the other.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok, definitely decided to switch to glass diffusor, and am considering the Rhinox 5000 but was a bit concerned by: 'compatible for pressurized Co2 tanks with at least 5 bubbles per second injection rate'

I am running my CO2 at approx 3-4bps, will this diffusor work effectively? And will I have the same issue with all diffusors designed to work in aquariums this size (e.g. the ADA Pollen Glass 30)?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.