The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a complete teardown of my 55 gallon. I cleaned the filter plumbing with bleach. I also cleaned my syphon hose with bleach. I rinsed the stuff and let it soak for 1/2 hour in seachem safe.

I set the tank up and now I can smell bleach when I open the lids. I double dosed seachem prime and added a couple tablespoons of seachem safe. For those that don't know seachem safe is just a more concentrated version of prime.

I'm doing a fishless cycle but was planning on seeding the tank with established bacteria.

I'm worried about bleach in the substrate and filter now.

Will the bleach gas off or should I drain the tank and refill it a couple times?

What should I do?

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I would drain the tank, stir up the substrate real good before hand and refill partially then repeat. Did you remove the substrate before bleaching or did you just bleach the items in the above post?

I will assume you used plain, unscented regular bleach and not the splash less version?

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would drain the tank, stir up the substrate real good before hand and refill partially then repeat. Did you remove the substrate before bleaching or did you just bleach the items in the above post?

I will assume you used plain, unscented regular bleach and not the splash less version?
I used bleach on the bucket I rinsed the sand with and I used it on my python hose and my filter tubing. I rinsed the bucket and filled it up and dumped some seachem safe in it then rinse a couple of times. I filled my hose with bleach and water and let it sit for 10 minutes then ran cold water through it for 10 minutes. The filter tubing I did two days ago and I soak it in the sink with safe.

I didn't use bleach on the substrate itself but it could have been cross contaminated from the bucket.

I'm gonna drain the tank. Rinse everything really well. I'm gonna leave the substrate in the tank rinse stir and drain a couple times. I'm just gonna rinse and drain over and over with everything to be safe.

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
That sounds good to me. Whenever I have used a bleach/water solution to clean and disinfect aquarium items I rinse thoroughly in tap water, soak items in tap water with Prime or similar for at least 15 minutes and then either air dry or sniff for bleach odor. Repeat as needed.

It's possible your bleach concentration was either a higher percentage on the bottle or your ratio to water was off a bit. Usually the bleach odor goes away after 24 hours if you didn't rinse enough or use enough water conditioner.

·
Registered
290 Posts
I’d guess any small amount of bleach will easily be neutralized by 55gal of water. Maybe a large water change or two just to be absolutely sure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
If you want to be sure you could get some chlorine test kits. I think one of the tetra 5-in-1 tests has a chlorine test, but there are also strip tests for drinking water on Amazon.

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Bleach won't necessarily gas off, but it will react with itself. Crank the tank temperature up to like 86 F and stir around the substrate. Light also helps catalyze its decomposition.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.