The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been maintaining a 30 gallon rectangular planted aquarium since 2019. A scratch developed on the inside of a 2" section of the tank that I can feel with my fingernail. The aquarium manufacturer stepped up and have reimbursed me for my purchase. I have ordered a new 38 gallon tank that has the same dimensions as the 30 gallon except for the height. The following is the current setup:
  • 30 gallon glass rectangular
  • Seachem Flourite Dark substrate
  • Java Ferns attached to driftwood
  • Anubias Barteri and Nano hanging out wherever they feel like
  • Red Crypt (really flourished and grown quite large in the tank foreground)
  • Bronze Crypt (newer, remains small and fine as foreground plant)
  • Taiwan Moss (attached on stainless steel mesh sections setup as carpeting covering much of the substrate)
  • HOB IQ 45 Filter
  • CO2 injection system with FZone mini-regulator and solenoid
  • UV Sterilization system
  • Current Satellite Plus LED light (provides enough light for low-tech plants)
  • (2) Honey Gouramis
  • (5) Cherry Barbs
  • (2) green Corydoras
  • (2) blonde Corydoras
  • (6) Otocinclus catfish
  • (1) clown Pleco

New Setup plan
  • 38 gallon glass rectangular
  • Seachem Flourite Red substrate walled off from 2nd substrate on left consisting of sand like substrate
  • Java Ferns attached to driftwood
  • Anubias Barteri and Nano placed in convenient spots
  • Red Crypt to be re-rooted in background
  • Bronze Crypt to be re-rooted in foreground
  • Taiwan Moss (not sure how much and where to place yet)
  • HOB IQ 45 Filter; later in future, am considering upgrading to external Eheim filtration system but not now
  • CO2 injection system with FZone mini-regulator and solenoid
  • UV Sterilization system
  • Current Satellite Plus LED light; hopefully it will remain good enough for taller tank
  • (2) Honey Gouramis
  • (5) Cherry Barbs
  • (2) green Corydoras
  • (2) blonde Corydoras
  • (6) Otocinclus catfish
  • (1) clown Pleco

Plan to use new Seachem Flourite Red substrate throughout 3/4 of tank bottom walled off by stone(s) from a 2nd substrate (finer sand type substrate more suitable for Corys and possibly Amano shrimps in future. Plan to reuse the same Light setup, CO2 system, UV Sterilization system, HOB IQ 45 filter, the same driftwood in use now and possibly re strap down or re-glue in a more organized fashion Java Ferns on sections of the driftwood. Since the Red Crypt has grown larger than I imagined, I plan to re-root it in the background. I plan to pick a day(s) when the HOB filter media is at least 2 weeks old so that it has some established beneficial bacteria in it before migrating it to the new tank.

What concerns me is the order of events involved with the logistics of when to migrate the HOB filter and fish to the new aquarium and basically decommision the current tank. Another question that I think about now is how much of the old water should I place into the new tank if any. I have been thinking maybe I should focus on rinsing out the new substrate placing it into the new tank and getting the stones and driftwood and plants restrapped to the driftwood and just add a little water while keeping the old tank remaining as is with fish other than the fish will not have plants for a couple days.

Has anyone on this forum had experience with migrating equipment, plants and fish from one aquarium to another brand new aquarium and if so what steps to avoid and which are most significant to reduce stress to plants and fish.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Although not exactly your situation, I recently swapped substrates. I used the same filters and kept them running in a bucket of tank water and still experienced a mini cycle that lasted several weeks. Whatever path you choose, account for the possibility of a recycle.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I may plan to either purchase or borrow a 2nd heater and filter so I can setup the new 38 gallon tank with old HOB filter with 2-3 week cycled bag, new substrate with the driftwood and plants to be reorganized and planted in the new tank and let it cycle while keeping the current 30 gallon tank with a new filter system, the fish and maybe leaving my Taiwan carpeted moss staying put until the new 38 gallon tank cycles properly before adding the fish and then decommissioning the 30 gallon tank.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts