The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will API stress coat ( added Aloe Vera) hurt Gourami or Betta's labyrinth organ the same way as Pimafix / Metafix will?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
This is my personal opinion, but I never ever use API Stress Coat or similar products. I feel it does a lot more harm than good.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This is my personal opinion, but I never ever use API Stress Coat or similar products. I feel it does a lot more harm than good.
To Gourami or Betta's labyrinth organ or all fish?

Thanks.

·
Registered
73 Posts
If that's what you're using as your water conditioner, continue use with water changes. The aloe in stress coat is really just a bandaid for shaky water conditions. Like davek said, get a dedicated conditioner such as amquel or prime, and you'll have a much easier time of keeping your parameters steady. To answer the original question, I don't know if it would do anything to inhibit oxygen uptake in the labyrinth organ, but if it seems as though breathing is tough, I would switch to a straightforward conditioner. I have had random enough results from api's water additive line that I avoid it now. I lied. I use their test kits and aquarium salt.

Please keep hands off glass.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I do repeat that this is my personal opinion, and there are some people that love the product.
Simply saying something like "I don't use the product" and "I feel it does more harm than good" does not really qualify as an opinion. What harm are you referring to specifically?

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Simply saying something like "I don't use the product" and "I feel it does more harm than good" does not really qualify as an opinion. What harm are you referring to specifically?
As a matter of fact, even if I didn't like the produce because the shade of color the box was made of was just not right, it would still be opinion.

But I do see what your saying. The specific reasons I do not like Stress coat and similar products is they get all over everything in the tank. You'll also see that and bubbles that form in the water don't easily break. It almost makes it look like you added soap to the water. I feel that this can't be good for any fish or invert to breathe.

Also, I see no difference between using the product and not using it. This makes me conclude that it doesn't really do much, and is not needed.

As a side note, if you use Stress coat in a SW tank and run a skimmer, the skimmer will go into overdrive and often overflow. The skimmer wants to remove it, just like it removes a lot of other waste products.

As I pointed out there are people that love this product. If you like it go ahead and use it. Needless to say, IMHO it's a very questionable product.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
If that's what you're using as your water conditioner, continue use with water changes. The aloe in stress coat is really just a bandaid for shaky water conditions. Like davek said, get a dedicated conditioner such as amquel or prime, and you'll have a much easier time of keeping your parameters steady. To answer the original question, I don't know if it would do anything to inhibit oxygen uptake in the labyrinth organ, but if it seems as though breathing is tough, I would switch to a straightforward conditioner. I have had random enough results from api's water additive line that I avoid it now. I lied. I use their test kits and aquarium salt.

Please keep hands off glass.

One of my issue with API water conditioner( the basic one) is that it does not address ammonia.

If your tap water has Chloramines(which the government is pushing for everywhere!) then the water condition byproduct will be ammonia. Because Chloramines is ammonia and chlorine bonded together.

The stress coat does address ammonia but the normal API water conditioner does not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts