The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone im new to growing freshwater plants in my aquariums and want to try it out on my 3g picotope :smile:. I only have ghost shrimp inside it and i thought it would look wonderful with some plants inside it. My lighting is 3 watts a gallon which should be suitable for most plants. I dont have any special substrate, just some regular sand that i got from a local fish store and my question is weather i can grow a healthy tank full of aquatic plants inside of the tank without any special soil or fertilizer. Thx for helping a noob :help:

·
Registered
390 Posts
with 3 wpg, you wouldn't really be able to do any plants without co2 and ferts, well not without algae and die off

at about 1 wpg, you could get by with some, java ferns, mosses etc

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
3wpg on a 3 gallon tank is not high light. That's only 9 watts. Probably still low to medium light if you ask me.

If you get some easy plants, you should be fine as long as you're feeding your shrimp. The shrimp's waste will provide some nutrients for the plants. Putting a few drops of fertilizer in the tank every week wouldnt be a bad idea, but your tap water probably has minerals in it as long as you're doing water changes. A nerite or a few small snails would eat any algae and convert it to waste which the plants would use for nutrients. A mini ecosystem! Ghost shrimp arent very good algae eaters.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was thinking of puting plants like dwarf baby tears, a couple ferns, micro swords, and moss on driftwood. Would those do well in my tank if i put a couple of those fertilizer tablets in every 2 weeks or so? I thought the snails would eat the aquatic plants, or do they just eat the algae?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I was thinking of puting plants like dwarf baby tears, a couple ferns, micro swords, and moss on driftwood. Would those do well in my tank if i put a couple of those fertilizer tablets in every 2 weeks or so? I thought the snails would eat the aquatic plants, or do they just eat the algae?
All those plants except the baby tears should do fine. Like frosty, I think that the 9w lighting you have will put you in the lowish range. It wouldn't hurt though to put a little splash of ferts every so often. The shrimp alone doesn't have much bioload. Waste=plant food.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
All those plants except the baby tears should do fine. Like frosty, I think that the 9w lighting you have will put you in the lowish range. It wouldn't hurt though to put a little splash of ferts every so often. The shrimp alone doesn't have much bioload. Waste=plant food.
I might get a guppy or two for the tanks bioload, so if baby tears wont work what should i use for carpet?

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There are several mineralized topsoil threads where I think you can get a better answer to your question. You might also want to google Diana Walstad and her natural aquarium method.
I googled her and found some guides on her method and it seems pretty good :thumbsup:. So if im correct all you do is get some topsoil + crumble shells and mix it, then put some gravel/sand over it?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts