The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 15g heavily planted tank and was considering an apple snail to make it a little more interesting.

im curious to wether or not it'll devour my plants or not.

plants
anubias
dhg
downoi
asian ambulia

fauna
rcs
betta
otto

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
i have a 15g heavily planted tank and was considering an apple snail to make it a little more interesting.

im curious to wether or not it'll devour my plants or not.

plants
anubias
dhg
downoi
asian ambulia

fauna
rcs
betta
otto
My mystery snail (aka apple snail) has been in tanks with anubias, swords, crypts, moss, riccia, wisteria and rotala. No problem at all. I have watched him wind his way around newly planted stems...of course, they are fairly newly planted and not dense yet. I do wonder if he might now bowl some of them over once they are thicker. He certainly does not eat them though.

Mine is a Pomacea diffusa. There are several snails that are sold as apple snails and I do think that there is one that eats plants more readily than the others. You can find tons of info about apple snails on http://www.applesnail.net.

I used to keep mine with my betta. I found that my betta was rather intimidating. He is much more active now that he is with my shrimp instead.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
There is a website on them www.applesnail.net

Also look for Pomacea Bridgesii, they are the ones save with plants. I used to have them and they never touched my healthy plants. They did, however, eat dead vegetation.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
As I said I used to have them, lol. That was what they were called backed then. But I can vouch for them being plant save.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Be careful for the first week after adding anything labeled "apple snail". I got one before that I think was a Pomacea canaliculata (although they all look the same to me). I caught it taking huge chunks out of a java fern, of all things, so I took it out.

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
My cherries have been hitching rides on my snail from time to time. They seem to get along fine.

·
Registered
3,870 Posts
Snails are no risk to shrimp, however, the shrimp, when in large numbers, can harass the snails preventing them from feeding properly and can lead to them dying.

Diffusa are an awesome addition to a tank. They are what is fully responsible for my focused interest in this hobby. At one point, I had over 200g of diffusa only tanks.

For the record, I liked the name bridgesii better! :D

·
Registered
10 Posts
So apple snail = ok??

Search Apple snail (Pomacea diffusa) on the internet. You'll see that they're mouths are too soft to eat live plants. They only eat dead stuff, algae, forgotten fish food. There are other species of apple snails but I'm not sure which ones are illegal to import......it makes sense that Customs would not want a plant eater from the amazon brought into the US, but with that said Pet Smart has Pomacea Bridgesi in their stores. Check out this site......

applesnail.net

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.