The Planted Tank Forum banner

Will amanos eat this algae?

1233 Views 6 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  FrostyNYC
Having a problem with this algae thats growing exclusively on my java moss, its not on any other plants. My tank is a 20 gallon with 65 watt pc lighting,pressurized co2 and I'm doing EI dosing. Already have 2 otos in the tank, they either don't touch it or the algae grows too quickly for them. Will amano shimps eat this? Any other hints on getting rid of it would be great also.
See less See more
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
looks like something i have. i believe it is string algae that grows into what seems like cotton balls on some of my leaves. i'd like to know if amano's eat this too, cause my cherries don't touch it.

EDIT: Just took a peek over at planetinverts.com to read up on amanos. Apparently they eat hair algae. So if what you have is hair algae (which I think is what I also have, although it's not as bad as it used to be) then the amanos should take care of it.
oh hmm... i dunno. mine is green. sorry :( amanos aren't super expensive, so as long as your fish won't eat them, i say give it a shot? won't hurt. i plan on getting a few myself. :)
The best answer I could give you is maybe. My amanos seem to enjoy fish food more than algae. Maybe you will get hardworking industrious amanos?
The best answer I could give you is maybe. My amanos seem to enjoy fish food more than algae. Maybe you will get hardworking industrious amanos?
I'm hoping so, there aren't any fish in my tank accept my ottos which dont get fed and are getting fat from algae alone. Hoping to not have to feed the amanos and to have them survive solely on the algae growing. planning on getting around 3 for my 20 gal.
I say give it a shot with the amanos. I added them to my algae-ridden tank, and they went wild eating for weeks until I eventually broke down the tank and cleaned the algae off everything (and tossed out my staghorn-infested java moss). Two amanos couldnt keep up with my algae, unfortunately, even in a 5 gallon tank.

I will say, also, I've seen amano shrimp grab dead brine shrimp and try to eat that. Also they have a particular fondness for fish poop, it seems. I'd prefer they stuck to algae, frankly.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.