The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
390 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recieved 6 Heterandria formosa today. I read that they would be small, but I had no idea that they would be this small. The amano shrimps are easily twice their size. My question is, will the shrimp eat or attack the fish?

·
Registered
93 Posts
will the shrimp hurt fish most likely not ive heard of large ghost shrimp snagging a fry but thats even rare.
i had a large ghost shrimp snag a 3/4" neon tetra. I watched it happen. He snagged it, broke it in half and brought it into his little hideout to eat it. I wouldn't of believe it if i didnt see it happen myself

·
Registered
74 Posts
Certainly that's the exception rather than the rule. I have a 140 gallon filled to the brim with amano and ghost shrimp (at least 60 or 75 of each) along with Gourami, rainbow, glowlight neons, corys and a pleco and have yet to see any of these eat any of my stock. I've heard/read a few anecdotal stories like this, but I have yet to ever see my ghost shrimp eat anything remotely that large. The only time I've ever seen them eat something that big is if it was dead already. Call me skeptical, but ghost shrimp are nowhere near fast enough or dexterous enough to catch anything that can move in my experience. I'd be really interested in being proved wrong.

·
Registered
199 Posts
I have a couple large amanos in with my guppies. Never seen them go after a fry.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.