The Planted Tank Forum banner

will alum & potassium permanganate dips kill shrimp?

4051 6
I received a new plant over the weekend. The seller advised that I do alum and potassium permanganate dips since he claimed his tank had pond snails. And so I did a 10 min dip in potassium permanganate and a 2-3 hour dip in a highly concentrated solution of water & alum. I rinsed the plants thoroughly with tap water and added only a few of them to the tank.

For three days my Amano shrimp seemed fine but today i found them all dead next to the plants that were dipped.

I found this article online:

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co....illed_by_mail_ order_plants!&utm_content=html

could this be true? has anyone had similar invertebrate wipeouts after dipping plants in alum and/or potassium permanganate??
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
I do both as dips and all I do after the dips is rinse really well and let soak for a day in dechlorinated tap water. I don't do any vitamin C or peroxide or anything like that. I do 3 day alum soaks (recommended time to kill snail eggs). I do a PP dip beforehand for an hour, then alum for 3 days, rinse and soak for 24-48 hours. That's a good method and good for quarantine procedures as well as you can monitor any other critters that might make it through the dips.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.