The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone knows whether or not mineral rocks like Sunglow mineral rocks for shrimp will raise the GH in my aquarium meaningfully?

Right now my GH in my CRS planted tank is 5 and I need to keep it that way but I want to add minerocks to aid the shrimp in molting properly.

Also--does anyone know what the chemical composition of Ohko stone is?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
By mineral rock for shrimp, I would assume it's Calcium Montmorillonite clay (calcium not calcined), so it would leech out calcium (raise GH. I think it has some magnesium as well).

If your GH is already at a sufficient level, you don't really need to supplement/add calcium for them to molt properly. They can obtain the calcium from the water itself. Those mineral rocks are a gimmick if your water is already adequate (they are not needed). Feed calcium enriched foods if you feel the need to. Even fresh veggies contain calcium and other beneficial nutrients that would be of more benefit than those rocks.

Are you injecting co2 on that CRS planted tank?

Remember that all water parameters need to be suitable (pH, KH, Temp, TDS).
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee[/quote]

By mineral rock for shrimp, I would assume it's Calcium Montmorillonite clay (calcium not calcined), so it would leech out calcium (raise GH. I think it has some magnesium as well).

If your GH is already at a sufficient level, you don't really need to supplement/add calcium for them to molt properly. They can obtain the calcium from the water itself. Those mineral rocks are a gimmick if your water is already adequate (they are not needed). Feed calcium enriched foods if you feel the need to. Even fresh veggies contain calcium and other beneficial nutrients that would be of more benefit than those rocks.

Are you injecting co2 on that CRS planted tank?

Remember that all water parameters need to be suitable (pH, KH, Temp, TDS).
Dwarf Shrimp Water Parameters ? DiscoBee
Thanks for the reply!

I'm injecting Co2 into my 29 gal planted tank at a rate of 1 bubble every 2-3 seconds.

My water parameters are as follows:

TDS 155
GH 5
KH 1
Temp 68 F
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate below 5 at all times.

No CRS have been added to the tank yet--I am aging the water for a few weeks post cycle for witch-crafty reasons I don't understand well but am too afraid not to do because others told me to.

picture

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.