The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, stupid question, I know. I have a 20gal long aquarium and a NICREW Classic LED Plus light. According to their website, this light is 22W, 1150lm and 6500k. From my research I know that this light is on the low end of wattage for plants, but I don't have the money to invest in a twinstar or ADA grade light. Could I simply add another one of these to my tank to double the light the plants get? It seems so logically, but I want to make sure I'm not missing something obvious here. I want to increase light intensity to bring out better colors in my plants and to increase growth. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
Sure.

But just increasing the light without increasing other 2 factors (co2/fert) doesn’t mean you’ll get growth.

What plants are trying to grow?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Some dwarf hairgrass, ludwigia, and rotala species. This tank is a walstad method dirted tank and recieves no liquid ferts, only iron supplement in the soil.

Bump: Some dwarf hairgrass, ludwigia, and rotala species. This tank is a walstad method dirted tank and recieves no liquid ferts, only iron supplement in the soil.

·
Registered
2,343 Posts
So no demanding plants. No filters? And what is iron supplement and how much did you use?

It’s only a 12” tall tank, so subtract 2”+ for soil/cap and probably only 10” water depth max. I run my nicrew light on similar height tank and I only run it at 80% intensity. There’s some other limiting factor here beyond light.

How long has this tank been setup? It can take couple months or longer for a walstad tank to settle in. Where are your floating plants?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
No filter. I added approx. 6 1/2 inch diameter balls of amaco red clay. I also have frogbit on the surface. The tank is fairly new, and this is something I overlooked in my question. I will give it a few months before I make a judgement. Thanks.

·
Registered
122 Posts
For that tank, you should be able to grow regular not so demanding plants with the light you have. Adding another light will help. It will give you more spread from front to back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts