The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all-

I have a 48" long 90 gallon reef tank with a 30 gallon sump under that stand that I'm converting to a FW tank and I want some really low maintenance plants that do well on low light and no CO2. I have a good idea of what I want for plants from reading other posts, but I fear my lights may be too bright. I have a Tek T5 48" fixture with 4 x 54w watt bulbs. That's a little over the 2 WPG rule to not have CO2 so I was thinking that I'd just not use 2 of the lights (separate cords and switches) or just have all 4 on only for part of the day. Because the Tek T5 fixtures are so efficient with the reflectors , they throw a lot more intense light than a comprable brand, so I'm worried about too much light and the problems that can cause. Any suggestions?

Thanks!

-Dan

·
Registered
85 Posts
I find that you get much more light with the tek 5's so you might want to try using just two of the lamps all day and use the other 2 for a mid day burst.

I got a huge algea bloom with all of them running on a new tank and am still dealing with it.

This way you can adjust as you need to once everything settles in.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response Carol. I was also thinking of using some of the reef bulbs with the really high color temp - the actinic type. I don't think plants use that spectrum, but not sure if algae do. It would throw a little more light than the 2 bulbs, but not very useful if it grows nasties! :)

-Dan

·
Registered
674 Posts
im using the same fixture over a 75 gallon...for the first month id recommend using only two bulbs unless its heavily planted and you have ferts and co2 down. now i am using basically all the bulbs for about 8-9 hours a day

id say you are fine and may even want more light...but that all depends if you want high light or not

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Boink. Are you using CO2? I don't want to get that complicated. No CO2 and plenty of plants that do well with those lights- I consider low light- in a 90 gal. There are plenty of good looking plants that don't need a lot of light so I'm happy to just live in that world.... -Dan

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
You can raise up the light a bit. Some do say actinics facilitate algae, though I don't think there is hard evidence. If in the future you do elect to go pressurized gas, the 4x54 will be ready. IMO, its almost a perfect light for a 90 gal.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Betowess- That's what I was thinking- I can slap in bulbs and be ready for co2 w/o having to buy a new light. I'll run the actinics and if algae appears,then off they go. Good to have options.....And epicfish- Tek RULES!!!

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Betowess- That's what I was thinking- I can slap in bulbs and be ready for co2 w/o having to buy a new light. I'll run the actinics and if algae appears,then off they go. Good to have options.....And epicfish- Tek RULES!!!
Welcome to da brotherhood...FWIW, many of us really like an equal combo 10000K Current USA and 6700K Current (or GE Starcoats 6500K). Just straight GEs give a way too yellowish hue after a few months.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.