The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I read the other day about a guy who had the bottom piece of glass on his tank crack from the weight of the water. Granted he had a large tank. I have a 33 gallon tank. Do i have to worry about this happening ? Should i support the bottom glass somehow from below ? If so what is a good way of doing so ?

James

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
A properly constructed tank will not break from the weight of the water. Be kind of stupid if it did since the only job the tank has is holding water. Most stands only support the edges of the tank. Most tanks rest on a frame and not the glass. Putting something that could press against the glass could cause the glass to break.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Hi all,

I read the other day about a guy who had the bottom piece of glass on his tank crack from the weight of the water. Granted he had a large tank. I have a 33 gallon tank. Do i have to worry about this happening ? Should i support the bottom glass somehow from below ? If so what is a good way of doing so ?

James
Breaking glass can happen but it is rare when a well made tank is used correctly. I believe some reef/chiclid keepers have this problem with falling rock piles. Should you worry? No, different tank, different problem. Kinda like seeing a silver car crash into a tree and wondering if yours will because it is silver <possible, but unlikely> :icon_bigg :icon_bigg

·
Registered
663 Posts
Supposedly, only acrylic tanks need to be fully supported underneathe. I only just learned this recently and have had my 56 gallon acrylic tank on a stand that only supported it around the perimeter for 6 years without incident. A few weekends ago, just to be safe, I emptied most of the water out, slid a piece of plywood in underneathe, and filled it back up. I feel a lot better now with the plywood in place. ;)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.