The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd love to have some Nerite snails, but the messy egg problem doesn't sound good. If I just get a single Nerite, or perhaps different types of nerites (a Clithon, and a Zebra for example), would they still leg eggs?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Generally not. Snails are not asexual and require intercourse to reproduce. I am not too sure about whether different types of Nerites will breed with each other though. Most likely not.

Most species in the animal kingdom will not interbreed no matter how close the species actually are.

Then again I might be completely wrong. Google might be of assistance. GOOGLE I SUMMON YOU!

http://www.planetinverts.com/tracked_nerite_snail.html

via google query "will different nerite snails interbreed?"

Note the brackish breeding requirement.

Google win.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! That link is a great source of info for inverts!
So am I understanding that if no breeding partner available, then no eggs? I know some creatures (like chickens), will lay eggs even if there's no male around. Same for snails?

·
Registered
173 Posts
Yes

I have two tanks, each has ONE nerite snail.

One doesn`t lay eggs. The other leaves those annoyingly hard, sticky 1mm eggs everywhere. especially on wood where they`re really UGLY.

Sooo I suppose it depends how lucky you get ;)

·
Opae Ula Crazed.
1,408 Posts
My nerites lay eggs frequently. I find that it doesn't matter if there is just one, or a group of them. The eggs don't hatch. I've found that these snails don't live long in freshwater tanks, but they're very good at eating algae so I buy new ones occasionally to keep that problem under some sort of control.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My nerites lay eggs frequently. I find that it doesn't matter if there is just one, or a group of them. The eggs don't hatch. I've found that these snails don't live long in freshwater tanks, but they're very good at eating algae so I buy new ones occasionally to keep that problem under some sort of control.
Might be a problem with your water parameters if the Nerites that you keep die quickly. They should live about three years.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
The OP isn't concerned about hatching eggs, s/he is just wondering if Nerites will lay them even if they haven't been fertilized by another Nerite.

Some snails are hermaphrodites; IDK about Nerites, though.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
yes but not in freshwater
The eggs will not hatch in freshwater but they lay eggs in freshwater. I've had more than one Nerite in more than one tank lay eggs all over the place. No I don't think you need to have a pair to lay eggs.

I've had one for over a month and have never seen a single egg, I didn't even see him for about 2 weeks, once.
Wait and see ............ :hihi:

They do stop laying as they age. I have one Nerite left and it has stopped laying eggs.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.