The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I mentioned that I recently stumbled in upon Petsmart's cory sale, and used it to populate my 40g tank with 20 some corys. I am loving the huge schooling action I get, and they seem so happy to be in a big group. Now I am considering finishing the aquarium by adding a large group (10?20?) of otos to the tank, so they can also display that, and just skipping the tetras I was thinking of. But my question is, will a large group of otos starve? The tank is a pladarium, has a bunch of surface plants, lots of leaf litter on the bottom, but few to no plants under the surface. I have otos, but I've never had so many I had to worry about them running out of food. Will they learn to eat, and just be happy to be in a large group, or starve if there is not enough algae?

·
Banned
3,261 Posts
There are anecdotal reports that such a large number of Otos will not survive due to starvation even if vegetables are fed. They may not be accustomed to this kind of food so they may starve to death. But if they learn to eat it, they should be fine. Most of my Otos died probably due to starvation even though I placed zucchini in the tank.

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
One oto per 5 gal. So you should be fine with 8 or 10.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.