The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,020 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Will 1/2 inch young cardinal tetras be able to survival a cycle using ATM Colony
these are young fish and i can get them at a good price. I am just worried that doing a cycle with atm colony the young .5 inch maybe smaller cardinal tetras might not be able to handle it.

thoughts?!?

Aditional info, its a 75g tank. heavily over filtered. lots and lots of plants.

·
Registered
1,568 Posts
Better yet, spare all fish involved the pain of ammonia burning their gills and do a fishless cycle - it will require more patience, but then you will not have to deal with any permanently stunted, short-lived fish that would have resulted from cycling with fish.

·
Carpe Diem
7,562 Posts
Putting Cardinals of any size in uncycled tank is a really bad idea - I predict the survival rate of 0.

v3

·
Registered
636 Posts
What OVT said. Cardinals are one of the more sensitive fish, especially as they're getting established in a new tank. Their size and age doesn't matter in this case, they aren't a fish I would even consider using to cycle a tank or introduce to a tank that isn't very established and stable (coming from someone who now has neons because she's accepted that cardinals are too sensitive to adapt to her 8.2ph liquid rock water).

·
Registered
534 Posts
I know this sounds like a sales pitch. sorry.

Sounds like you'd like to add fish to your tank, sooner than later, without having to wait 30 days for your tank to traditional cycle. I know that feeling, having a good looking tank, without fish just sucks. Good news you don't have to wait for a traditional 30 cycle, you could simply buy a bottle of beneficial bacteria in a bottle. I use Dr Tim's One and Only, but I hear great things about Tetra Safe Start Plus (both on Amazon if you can't find them at the LFS). I've used Dr. Tim on three tanks, its cut the cycling down to DAYS, rather than weeks.

Add some hardy fish (not Cardinal Tetras) I used Cory Cats. Start feeding them like normal. Dump one bottle of Dr Tim (Or Tetra Safe Start+) and keep checking the testing the water. You sell in a couple days your tank is cycled, and ready for your Cardinal Tetras.

I've used it Dr. Tim's on three tanks and it really does work.

Good luck and enjoy your tank (with fish in it)!

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
I wouldn't cycle wih any fish. You'll have all the time to stock with healthy ones after cycled. Even if they survive the cycle, it could weaken their immune system and leads to a bigger problem.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Better yet, spare all fish involved the pain of ammonia burning their gills and do a fishless cycle - it will require more patience, but then you will not have to deal with any permanently stunted, short-lived fish that would have resulted from cycling with fish.
I second this. Don't put any fish through unneeded pain and just do a fishless cycle... Fish are animals, not just shiny little objects.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.