The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've heard contradicting reports. Can anybody with experience comment on the difference in coloration between wild/f1 blue rams and rams from subsequent generations?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
f1 is a better bet in my opinion. obviously wild caught fish will have slightly better coloration. But wild caught fish almost always have issues with both parasites and feeding.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
It all depends on the source and how they've been handled.

CB fish from a local breeder are usually ideal, as they're already acclimated to local water parameters. There are many breeders who maintain great strains, and also some breeders that let their stock get too inbred, and some even that will inject their fish with hormones to make them color up for a quicker sale, which is usually harmful to the fish. This is a pretty common practice with many of the fish that are mass-produced and shipped over from Asia.

WC fish may or may not be healthy depending on how they were caught and handled in the entire process between original capture, holding, shipping, trans-shipping, distributing, and sale. But I do make sure to QT all new fish and take special care to worm all fish I know are WC.

·
Registered
55 Posts
I just picked up some local bred GBR a week ago and they by far have the best coloring and blue bearling I have ever seen on a ram. Of all the GBR pix that I have seen on the web I honestly think mine look the best. Any breeder who knows how to line breed can and will make a fish look better and better as generations go on down the line.

·
Registered
322 Posts
I just picked up some local bred GBR a week ago and they by far have the best coloring and blue bearling I have ever seen on a ram. Of all the GBR pix that I have seen on the web I honestly think mine look the best. Any breeder who knows how to line breed can and will make a fish look better and better as generations go on down the line.
mind showing them off :icon_smil. Wouldn't mind seeing them. Blue Rams are sweet.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
There are local breeders that have rams with wild strands, which as stated will have less problems and also good color.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts