The Planted Tank Forum banner

Which do you prefer?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
HI All,

I did a heavier than usual trim on my tank. My wife took one look and said "that looks great, you should keep it that height all the time!"

I'm just so used to the jungle look that I never thought about i, but she is right that it is brighter and you can actually see fish now :) Which of these 2 pics do you prefer?

Jungle Life:

Room to breath:

Cell phone snaps, sorry if the quality isn't the best!

·
Pixel Prestidigitator
4,343 Posts
I like the first jungle look myself. I hate how bare it looks when I do my trims and can't wait for it to start filling in again.

·
Registered
7,691 Posts
im also a jungler. i find all livestock, fish and shrimp more comfortable in a natural setting. It makes netting a hassle but otherwise there's always something to look at in the tank...

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
I vote the 2nd one because when my tank got too heavily planted it had a negative impact on the behavior of my fish. They started hiding more and seemed more stressed and cramped. I opened it up a bit and the fish seem a lot happier. I love the jungle look but you have to find the balance between jungle and swimming space, and your 2nd pic does a great job of that IMO

·
Registered
190 Posts
I think it is not a matter of jungle vs trimmed. As others noted, your "trimmed" is still pretty jungly. :p IMHO it has to do with the lighting.

In your first picture, the middle portion is dim because it was shaded by the plants above. This created a green/dark contrast. To me, this dark spot gives an "aged" and "wild" feeling, like the shade of a big old tree.

Whereas the later is pretty much all green. This has a more "conventional" and "fresh" planted tank feel to me.

The drift wood is more clearly seen in the second picture, and it looks more like a branch (because it is). And in the former picture it looks thicker and darker due to the shadow and thus look more like a tree trunk.

If you are asking my preference, I slightly prefer the former as it has a bit more character but both has their merits.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.