The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone tell the difference between a wild caught and tank raised angelfish? I saw some altum angels that were marked as wild caught in a lfs. For me, there is no way to tell except trust the seller. Are there any differences just by looking at them.

I have a GBR that has more intense and darker in color which I love more, and I saw some in another store also marked as GBR but they were lighter in color. Are there 2 different breeds of GBR? Thanks.

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
From what I hear, breeding 100% Altums is so hard that people would rather catch them in the wild during the breeding season. This is why most newly acquired Altums are so finicky and die soon after people receive them into their tanks. If they are healthy and have been quarantined at your LFS, I'd say that's a good find (depending on price) which would up your chances on survival rate.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks and yup those altums don't look that healthy at all, maybe it was really wild caught. I think it was $20 for one but they were gone when I came back a week after, guess they didn't make it.

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
caught in the wild and handled how many times by people paid in pennies for their efforts? Then starved throughout the shipping/customs/import process all pile on top of the fact we can't keep our water anywhere near whats natural for these fish. Plenty of domestic options for some really great fish. Heck I have a pair of the new blues pb/pb that aren't even recognized as anything yet by TAS (The Angelfish Society) that would cost you $150.00 minimum. Friendly breeder to new breeder pricing and driving to pick them up they were $100.00

Domestics are in no way to be compared. I keep 'higher end' domestics but have no desire to import wilds. but that's just me. :smile:

I don't think Craig was very happy with them either.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.