The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have what look to be glass shrimp in a large pond near me and was wondering how I should go about quarantining them?
What is the chance they will have something nasty?
I was thinking of putting some in a week old empty tank for a few days for observation, then put some of them in my main tank.
Thanks.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi can anyone ID these 2 shrimp? The larger one with eggs looks to have some clear gel/algae growth on part of its body, stuck to the shell. I live in NSW, Australia. These are wild shrimp caught from a very big pond. They are 2cm long and these were the biggest I found, the rest were smaller and had very little colouration.

ps what are the floating green balls? algae I assume? I'm going to be very careful to not let a drop of the pond water in my tank.

·
Registered
387 Posts
Better photo of growth on shell of larger one, could this be harmful to my fish?:

This one is pregnant. As far as the growth...

I can't tell anything from the picture.

The part of the shrimp you have circled is where her stomach is, right behind the eyes...but as far as whether there is something on the outside I can't tell looking at these pictures.

Hopefully the real shrimpers will chime in...I have shrimp in my tanks but they aren't my specialty.

My instinct says don't trust things growing on the outer exoskeleton but then I see the eggs in her...is putting the one with eggs back where you caught it an option? I wouldn't risk your tank unless you get a better answer.

But maybe someone will chime in that knows shrimp better than myself.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the reply, they were returned home today I don't want to risk it.
Once my shrimp tank has cycled I'll get new ones and thoroughly check them before bringing them back.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts