The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6,186 Posts
follow the directions and they sell you more product LOL

Using RO here for my tanks I set GH with GLA booster and use a small amount of baking soda for KH.

edit: you read it correctly as they do state ratio mixing on the site, also in the Q&A section they admit the buffer is NaHCO3 based. (baking soda)

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No you don't use them together. If for people who have african cichild tanks that require a high ph or people who have discus tanks that require a low ph. Or some plants that like a lower ph. That of course if if their source water doesn't have the right ph for these fishes.

So I think the misunderstanding is that you don't use them both together.
At the bottom it says you use them together and in certain ratios lol.

I dont actually need either was more curious than anything!

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
I think it's their way of getting a base ph and then amending it with the Alkaline buffer. Because they don't know what your base ph is, it would be hard to say how much of what buffer to add in order to reach the pH your looking for. Also it states using RO water. I think you can use just one if you have a pH tester and you can then customize it to what ever pH your looking for.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
A real buffer system holds the water within a small range of pH. Just adding alkaline buffer raises the pH, but not to a specific value. And, just adding an acid buffer lowers the pH, but not to a specific value. Using the right ratio of the two should maintain the water at a certain pH, within a small deviation. How long it can do that is another question, and it isn't necessary to hold the water to a specific pH anyway. Except for rare situations, perhaps for breeding some types of fish or shrimp, it doesn't matter what the pH is as long as it stays relatively stable.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.