The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed this? If you catch a fish in a net, then try to release it, the fish will keep swimming towards the inside of the net. Usually you have to swish the net around to get them to swim out, but sometimes they'll swim right back in!

I've been watching some videos on the herding instincts of cattle and pigs, and I learned that they'll balk at seemingly minor things such as a grate in the floor. They also will go wherever their nose is pointed, so if you urge them on while their head is turned, they'll turn instead of going forward. I wonder if there are any instincts like this that cause fish to swim into nets instead of out.

Anyone care to speculate?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Fish don't seem to like change. When you try to catch them, I would venture to guess all they know is a big scary square or rectangle shaped monster is trying to eat them so they start to panic and want to flee to find some place to hide. So maybe once caught and are in the net and they can no longer see the big scary monster they know they are not being eaten but still perceive danger. They can't see the monster, so the monster can't see them. Inside the net they have some cover and feel somewhat safer. I'm not a fish so I cant say for sure, but that would be my guess.

What I do know for sure though is I'll take dealing with getting fish out of a net over getting them into it any day of the week =)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts