The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems to me that having a planted tank with an open top is the way most people go. Why is that? I suppose that it helps with gas exchange but how much?

Pat

·
Honeycomb Master
6,769 Posts
Hello fellow Arizonian! :bounce:

Most people choose to have open tops to let in as much light as possible. Most covers tend to block out a good portion of light.

Also, they just look a ton better without covers IMO. :hihi: But if you have fish that tend to jump out of the water, like hatchets, then a cover is definitely necessary.

·
Registered
567 Posts
It can also help with cooling if you have a situation where a tank overheats easily. It's less common with freshwater tanks than saltwater, but if you have a really warm house and hot light fixtures, the water can heat up quick. I have issues with mine getting too warm in the summer here. It's not open top, but I'm going to get it that way before it gets hot again.

I think the primary reason is appearance though. When I first started keeping fish, the wooden canopy to match the stand was the popular thing. Now it seems to be going more towards open top tanks.

·
Registered
397 Posts
i've actually had a problem with the lid and just decided to take it off completely. my glass is pretty common, two panes of glass that is connected at the middle with a plastic strip. unfortunately the strip is rather thick and massive so it kind of blocks the light. also, as the water evaporates i find that it condenses onto the glass. i don't know if this affects the lighting but i made the ultimate choice to just leave it open. water evaporates twice as fast tho...

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i've actually had a problem with the lid and just decided to take it off completely. my glass is pretty common, two panes of glass that is connected at the middle with a plastic strip. unfortunately the strip is rather thick and massive so it kind of blocks the light. also, as the water evaporates i find that it condenses onto the glass. i don't know if this affects the lighting but i made the ultimate choice to just leave it open. water evaporates twice as fast tho...
How many gallon tank do you have? And how many inches from the initial water fill point does it evaporate in a week?

Thanks,
Patrick

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
55 gallons, i wanna say like an inch and a half every 2 weeks.
Is that in the Summer, or does it get to be more than that in the Summer? The reason that I ask is because Im thinking of going topless:D and I have about 1" to play with from the water line to a small hole that I drilled in the hob filters intake tube to prevent siphoning out of the filter when doing WC's. I change my water once a week and so it just might work.

Thanks,
Pat

Also, Hello Fellow Arizonian to you too buddy.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
What urbguy said. Regarding evap. Depends on how dry air is. Here in nj winter is worse as air is dryer ans hot-air heat is dry even with hunidification on.

Other reason to have an open top is to ease maintenance. A folding lid limits access a bit. Taking a damp, bulky top off of a large tank is a nuisance.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts