The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Looks like the brown is alage growing on the leaves. You need your CO2 level in the tank. The 1.5 bps is your rate but doesn't tell us how much CO2 is dissolved in the water. The best way to test is to remove a bit of water. Let it sit and completely degas, usually 24 hours will do. Now test the ph. This is the baseline for your water. You'll want the water in your tank to be about 1 full point of PH drop at full saturation. If your baseline water is 7.4 ph degassed you'll want the ph in the tank to hit about 6.4 after the CO2 has been on for a couple of hours.

You don't state the size of the tank or the distance of the light to the substrate or how much you're dosing.

Flourish comprehensive is not comprehensive and is missing several key nutrients your plants need to grow.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
I don't think I would add Excel when you already have over a 1 point PH drop from real CO2. You should take a look at your dosing and nutrient levels. Flourish is not comprehensive plant nutrition. It's basically micros and trace elements. It does not have sufficient levels of the macro elements and depends on other methods to supply them. If that's all your feeding the plants you need to figure out where you nitrogen (N), phosphorus (P) and potassium (K) levels are. One or more of these may not be at a sufficient level for the amount of light you're adding.

·
Premium Member
2,094 Posts
Excel is used as an Algaecide that has nothing to do with pH drop. The liquid carbon claim has no proof.
Excel is typically used as a substitute for injected CO2. The OP already has injected CO2 at a high enough level to get 1+PH drop. I think it would be beneficial for the OP to make sure his dosing is complete (currently not dosing macros!), and in line with the amount of light and CO2 that he's adding. I would do that before adding a highly toxic disinfectant to the tank that at best will be a temporary solution. YMMV.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts