The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got the plant from Petco about 3 weeks ago. It is sitting in a dirted tub at my yard. It gets direct morning sunlight for maybe an hour or two and then indirect sunlight for about other 6 more hours. I dont get why the plant is turning brown. Worst part is that it is sending out shoots that grow well, but also brown. So far I have 4 visible shoots and Im sure there are more. The fact that it is sending shoots yet it looks like it is dying triggers me.

What are possible causes from it going brown? Could light be an issue? I dont have any idea. I am also growing Ludwigia in there which is growing well (one stem has already emersed and the other ones will probably do so in the next few weeks) so my tub is definitely plant friendly.

Should I just pluck out some brown leafs from the mothers? Will the mothers regrow new green leafs? Do they work like Amazon Swords in that sense?

Thanks for any help you are able to provide.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I really struggle with val too. I can grow many other plants but val, which is supposed to be an easier one, doesn't do well in my tank. One thing I just learned and am trying is that you can't plant it too deep. The white crown must be exposed and not buried. I was planting too deep before to keep it from floating away with current while waiting for it to root. I just got new corkscrew val. Too soon to tell if that fixed my issue or not. But thought I'd share in case it helps you.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
If you are dosing liquid co2 that will cause it. I tend to sink a root tab under where i am going to plant it. Trim the roots a little, push my finger into the subtrate and plant it. With good light and co2 they establish well in a few weeks. They like a bit of flow too so they sway.

Sent from my SM-A310F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
52 Posts
If you are dosing liquid co2 that will cause it. I tend to sink a root tab under where i am going to plant it. Trim the roots a little, push my finger into the subtrate and plant it. With good light and co2 they establish well in a few weeks. They like a bit of flow too so they sway.

Colin
Do you still use liquid ferts too with the root tabs. I use EI dosing. I'm wondering if the root tabs are still necessary.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I do yes. Root tabs once every 2-3 months...i dont put many in, just the odd few. I use high green ferts once a month. Lights on for about 6 to 8hrs and co2 on for about the same

How much vallis have you got in your tank? Have you got any pics i can see

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I dont use any liquid CO2. If anything I despise it. I am not sure if I planted them well, as far as I know I did plant them with the crown exposed. But in the case I didnt I would have expected the shoots to plant themselves right.
When I went to check the tub out today I see there are 2 new shoots. I now have like 7 shoots or so. This plant grows fast lol. This shoots looked decently green so maybe nature and me doesnt know how to plant vals.

Do you guys know if jungle vals work like Amazon swords in the sense that I can pluck out brown/dead leafs and the val will replace them?

·
Registered
52 Posts
How much vallis have you got in your tank? Have you got any pics i can see

Here are my new val. 1 week old. Co2 went out. Waiting on new part.

Finnex. 24/7 planted plus light on 24 cycle
EI dosing
Dh & gh 9-10 (tap)

I tried in ro before with gh booster 6gh and kh at 4 but couldn't grow them. They seem to do better in this water but it's only been a week.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I dont use any liquid CO2. If anything I despise it. I am not sure if I planted them well, as far as I know I did plant them with the crown exposed. But in the case I didnt I would have expected the shoots to plant themselves right.
When I went to check the tub out today I see there are 2 new shoots. I now have like 7 shoots or so. This plant grows fast lol. This shoots looked decently green so maybe nature and me doesnt know how to plant vals.

Do you guys know if jungle vals work like Amazon swords in the sense that I can pluck out brown/dead leafs and the val will replace them?
Good point. The new shoots should sit themselves correctly.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
You surely can and should trim the brown and dead leafs so it does not have to expend resources trying to repair. The leaf will never repair. It will grow new ones for sure just like any other plant.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
417 Posts
Totally agree with clown. Trim dead or damaged leaf. You should see oxygen bubbles come from the cut end if its healthy. I normally cut mine on a slight angle too. Need to cut mine back soon as they are getting a bit long now.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts