The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My swordplant is turning an unhealthy yellow and brown color. Splotches of these colours are developing on the leaves. Can adding some plantgro or other liquid supplement help? I have about 2.5 WPG (in a 10 gal) and DIY CO2 and flourish excel. Thanks.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
is it a new plant?
swords' leaves will melt when you first plant them in a new tank.

if not, it's a sign of low potassium, nitrogen or iron.

and don't add regular garden fertilizers with ammonia in the tank. They're harmful to fish. The best bet is to get ferts at the fish store.. You can buy root tabs and put it under the gravel so the swords to feed of.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, it's a new plant, maybe two weeks since I got it. I have aquarium plant tabs; I think it has phosphates, nitrogen. I also have Plantgro, an aquatic plant liquid supplement. However, I haven't been adding those things since last time I added them caused a huge algae bloom. But since I have flourish excel and CO2 now do you think I can add the supplements without an algae bloom?

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Ah, I thought 'plantGro' was regular gardening fertilizer.

Add the the supplements in slowly. Less then the recommended dosage on the bottle.. And if there's no algae after a few weeks of dosing.. you can up the dosage. Just know that whatever the plants can't use the algae will use.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I have a whole tank with just amazon swords in it. Some times the leaves will get little holes in them but since its a new plant give it time. And when it becomes established and growing a lot the bigger leaves will get browned edges and some holes or yellow. Cut them off and the plant will grow new smaller leaves from the middle.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.