The Planted Tank Forum banner

Why is my Java Moss dying?

1K views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  GrampsGrunge 
#1 · (Edited by Moderator)
I thought this stuff is supposed to be indestructable? I have in a half filled 10g aquarium at 74F with some betta fry. Since I got it it just turns brown, then turns very light and melts and rots away. I put some in my other small betta tanks at cooler temp, same problem. W am I doing wrong? How cursed am I that java moss is dying on me?

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
10 Gallon aquarium with 5 inches of water, 74F, new water I bred bettas in, a week ago, now there is fry. Dechlorinated tap water.

Same problems in a bowl of 70F water with a betta in it, it just dies. I don't have money for a test kit unfortunately. No matter waht I do it just dies. I thought it supposed to be a hardy plant.

#8 ·
I have to say having bought both Walmart .com and Amazon “Java Moss” I’ve been skunked on my deals both times. Mail order Java Moss is a Gamble similar to buying ” Carpeting Seeds”. You’re likely to be buying some terrestrial moss harvested from a Singapore public park.

When I moved here years ago I brought a bunch of plants along with my fish and tanks and I managed to keep a gallon baggie with some Java Moss and Fern alive for five years while my interest in Aquaria lapsed. I saddens me that the ferns out lived the moss, because the Moss I had was from a pet store purchase back in 1989 and I had cultured and grew gallon baggies of the stuff, I was giving away at our club meetings and couldn’t interest any LFS in trading for fish food. What I see in pet stores nowadays doesn’t seem to be the same plant.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.