The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm waiting on my regulator, but received my drop checker + 4dkh solution from NilocG. So I went ahead and set it up. It's blue when it comes out, but over the course of a few hours, turns very green. I figured maybe I got tank water mixed in, so I dumped the solution, added more, and made sure tank water didn't get in. Same result. Any ideas?

It's a 5g with new ADA Aquasoil.

·
Registered
558 Posts
they work on a PH versus KH .I think your pH is being affected by nutrients being released by the soil "ammonium"
possibly. This would bring the pH down causing drop check to go green.

·
Super Moderator
11,991 Posts
they work on a PH versus KH .I think your pH is being affected by nutrients being released by the soil "ammonium"
possibly. This would bring the pH down causing drop check to go green.
No, this doesn't make sense. The only way the solution in the drop checker to change colour is through gas exchange. There is an air bubble that would prevent any kind of liquid mixing, so the only way the small amount of liquid in the drop checker would change colour (due to the bromothymol blue) is through CO2 diffusion across the air gap.

How green is the solution in the drop checker (a photo against a white background would be very helpful!)

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for your reply guys. It ended up changing to blue after a couple of days. I can't really explain why, but it's working as intended now! I appreciate the help.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts