The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some cryptocoryne willisii "lucens" which is extremely large/tall. Some of its leaves are at least 40cm high with very long stems and only a small leaf at the end. Even the newly grown leaves are around 25cm in height. This is extremely annoying since I intended to use it as a foreground plant except its to big, so I have to use it as a background plant, which does not suit it at all. When I was researching the plant all the sites said it was a low growing foreground plant, especially the "lucens" variety. How do I make it grow like all the crypt. willisii "lucens" on the internet and in amano's magazines?

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
That's your answer right there. 1.6wpg of T-12 Fluorescent light is extremely low. Many of Amano's tank are in the 1-2wpg range, but he uses mostly Metal Halide, which isn't even comparable to T-12...much more intense. T-5 and PC would also be good. T-12 may get you good growth, but it probably won't get what you're wanting.

Edit: 2.4wpg would be better, but it's still T-12 light as opposed to something more intense. *MORE* light does not mean better growth necessarily. Light intensity is more important that sheer wattage. Read Rex's page if you still need some info (www.rexgrigg.com)

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
The denser a stand of crypts gets the taller the plants will grow as they all compete for the light. With crypts it doesn't matter how much light as it does how many plants. If you look at Amano's work you'll see that he has the shorter crypts spaced so that they have room to 'layout' rather than grow up. If you want a forground, learn to thin the stand, or just try something else, because crypts will just keep packing the stand.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
well i have 2wpg and mine dont grow worth a crap....

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Well, the somewhat obvious question that hasnt been asked: are you sure it is indeed cryptocoryne willisii lucens? Often times crypts get mixed up. BTW, the first hit on that scientific name on google http://www.tropica.dk/productcard_1.asp?id=107A shows it at 25cm+ not sure I'd call that a foreground plant. FWIW it also says the "lucens" is larger and longer leafed than the willisii.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.