The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love plants and my focus is mainly on potted plants. I don't consider myself a professional in the hobby of keeping bosai; but, I do certainly enjoy the hobby very much. I've come to the point in time, hobby time, where I can really enjoy what I've planted. So every year around this time (October early November), my bonsai garden treats me to a pretty awesome show of color and grandeur. I've been training since 2004 when I picked up my first Schefflera Aribcola. I have a total of 8 bonsai trees. 4 of which are cultivated from the local area and the other 4 are store bought.

Last week a friend sent me a link insisting I take a break from work and just go enjoy the changing colors of the foliage. He insisted I take those train tours up north. I would have loved to go; but, finances are pretty tight. But I have my very own show in my backyard.

My table of plants.

Serissa: Training since - 2004

Schefflera Arboricola: Training since - 2004
This Plant freezes and wilts every year. But when spring comes, she springs back to life. She's a trooper.

Juniper: Training since - 2010

Japanese Maple: Training since - 2009

Acer Palmatum: Training since - 2005
Thanks to my friend who dared me to train this tree. He picked it from his house and it was a mere 8" sapling.

Gorgious blood red color.

Acer Palmatum: Training since - 2006
A sapling grew from the orginal tree, I was able to bisect the sapling with enough roots so sustain it. I thought since the original tree had a pretty formal shape, this time around, a informal shape was acceptable.

Succulant Jade: Training since - 2011

Ming Aralia aka Parsley Aralia: Training since - 2011

Forest look.

Potted Scene: Created Spring 2011

Fork in the road.

Hang a right past the tree.

Down the hill.

Make a left at the gate.

Two hills.

Updated Terrarium 2.0

Made this terrarium for my girlfriend. The contents slowly decomposed and found through trial and error that light was pretty significant...So I replanted with trimmings and got this.

Contents Include:
Ming Aralia
Baby Tears

Full glory.

Baby tears up against the glass.

Tired old man under shade.

Hope you enjoyed it. I did :).

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Ive never been interested in Bonsai-----until I visited the North Carolina Arboretum last weekend. Its an 8 hour drive for you, but they have what I felt was an awesome Bonsai garden. They have a greenhouse that is only open during the week that I was only able to peek into--it had at least 60 Bonsai displays that were WIP in addition to the 75 or so that were in full display at the Bonsai garden.

I dont really have the time or energy to tackle another hobby right now, but I will someday.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Definitely do it one day. I think I spent a good portion of the morning, before 7 am, sitting in the yard sipping coffee and reading the paper and pruning some of the trees. It's pretty amazing.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
love the smaller red maple. is there something special to getting one of those started or could I go out in my woods and dig up a baby sapling and start growing and training it bonsai style in a smallish dish like you have?
Definitely can just pluck one from the ground and place it into a pot. I suggest a large pot because pot size like an tank size, I could be wrong, will determine fish size. Get a big pot so the plan can grow quickly. But it's super easy, just need to know the concept and basics of soil composition and you'll be good to go.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
urbguy, those are gorgeous!
The informal acer and the jade are my favorite, but it's hard to pick favorites from these! I've never thought about trying bonsai, I always thought it would be too hard, but you've inspired me. Can you leave them out over the winter, or will the pots crack? (I'm in Virginia, too)
I've been wanting to try a terrarium, too, I recently picked up an old book on it, it has some interesting ideas.
Beautiful plants, thank for showing them to us : )
~ Cindy ~

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
urbguy, those are gorgeous!
The informal acer and the jade are my favorite, but it's hard to pick favorites from these! I've never thought about trying bonsai, I always thought it would be too hard, but you've inspired me. Can you leave them out over the winter, or will the pots crack? (I'm in Virginia, too)
I've been wanting to try a terrarium, too, I recently picked up an old book on it, it has some interesting ideas.
Beautiful plants, thank for showing them to us : )
~ Cindy ~
Thanks for the kind words :). I collect from around my area so they will be fine since they are basically a scaled down version of the original. As for the Jade, I take them inside for the winter. My other plants, need a period of dormancy to survive and no, pots won't crack :). But I put some mulch ontop of the soil for the winter so it retains water, saving me the trouble of going out and stand in the cold watering plants. At least not as often.

·
Premium Member
577 Posts
Very nice. Bonsai interests me, but I have too much going on right now. I like the jade and will consider doing something with the one I have. Can you give any advice on trimming a jade plant. Mine is round and busy.

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Very nice. Bonsai interests me, but I have too much going on right now. I like the jade and will consider doing something with the one I have. Can you give any advice on trimming a jade plant. Mine is round and busy.
Jades are tricky :). They are great plants but they are tricky. I've noticed, after setting mine outside the whole summer, the succulant leaves have shrank! And to compensate, it seems like the plant grew more leaves decreasing the node between each leaf; thus, gaining denser growth.

As for pruning, I have not done a substantial trim. But I heard that a massive prunning will help it branch outwards.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.