The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

OK here is my set up: 75 gal, coral life CF 4x65W 6700, CO2

This is day 5 on my new tank... I have been dosing EI since day one, GH booster and excell on day one... I have not done a water change yet...

The problem is the water looks a bit cloudy/milky...

I have done a search and found this might be a bacterial bloom?

I have my CO2 bubble rate at 3 BPS, it is fed into a ceramic diffuser then into a Hagen mini intank filter... See pic... It does a great job as the bubbles are so fine, almost like a mist...

Could this be the culprit of the milky water?

Nitrates and ammonia and nitrites are 0... water is from the tap at ph 7.2, GH 4-5 and KH 6...

Should I just do a water change or wait till day 7 as the EI method states...

I have 6 SAES and two shrimp and their all doing fine...

Thanks Josh

·
Aroid Addict
3,493 Posts
Bacterial blooms usually fizzle out all by themselves within a week or two. Water changes can help speed the process along, though

·
Registered
9,711 Posts
I'm not sure about EI. I used to get bacterial blooms all of the time, but I haven't in years, so I have no idea about the dosing.
I'd do a ~25% water change tonight and see how it looks in the morning. Once you change a certain amount of water, it clears up pretty fast; at least it did for me...
:icon_mad: Lego! lol ninja'd

·
Registered
671 Posts
yup agree a bacterial bloom.. it go away soon. ^^ Well i havent heard of this before,but people probably say it because the fish are asleep and so when you change the water it wont stress out the fish IMO it really doesnt matter..

·
Registered
59 Posts
If it's only the 5th day after initially setting it up then it's most likely the finer particles of your substrate that's causing the cloudiness.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
i dont think that he meant that you should do it at night, i've never heard of that either. i think he just said tonight because it was later in the day already. but we can let him/her speak for themselves, lol.

it does look like a bacteria bloom to me too. which is very normal in new tanks. and it goes away on its own. you dont have any fish in your water so if it was me i wouldnt change any water. i would just ride it out.
new substrate will cause this too as its pretty dusty and takes a while for it to filter/settle out.

although i think its bacteria its a good idea to rule out algae. put some of the water in a white cup (styrofoam or plastic or something) and make sure there is no green tint to it.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
If it's only the 5th day after initially setting it up then it's most likely the finer particles of your substrate that's causing the cloudiness.
Exactly. And the packet of Purigen will perform a miracle. He'll come to his tank in the morning and think someone drained the tank the night before it will be so clear. Except he'll soon realize the fish are not flying in mid-air.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi,

I no expert or chemist but this happens to me every time I start a new tank and takes about 1-2 weeks for this to settle out. I think it is that the water is steril not alive with the good bacteria, no organics to soften it and harder also the tank need to cycle. don't worry about it.
my 2 cents anyway.:icon_mrgr

steve

·
Registered
13 Posts
What are you doing for filtration? I just set up a tank similar to this and had the same symptoms. Water changes and time seemed to be the cure but I didn't get it crystal clear until I added fish; telling me it was probably both the gravel dust and bacteria. If your week two and three are similar to my experience you will need an algae cleanup crew real soon.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts