The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
544 Posts
i hear everyone hating it. its NOT uncontrollable. I have it in my 40B with shrimp and when it gets too much I scoop some out. its not hard to do...
I totally agree. I actually sell it here in Utah. It brings in business for me. I originally started growing it to feed to my turtle, but after time, I heard people were looking for it, and I knew I could sell it cheaper than LPS.

I love it, can get annoying at times, but like you said, just scoop it out and there you go! Its a fantastic plant thought to help cycle a tank. The amount of water it takes in and puts out is amazing compared to most plants.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
It's not duckweed, but I recently got my first bits of dwarf water lettuce - I love it! It's doubled in less than two weeks, and I can't wait to offer it as a RAOK, like I got it. I can't decide if it looks like jellyfish of UFOs - lol.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Doesn't a huge mass of floating plants block out the light to below?
Yes, that is one obvious down side to it, is that it blocks a lot of the light. But if you keep it thin, like he mentioned, then you are ok. I've had it in my tank for over a year with some medium-light plants and they have all survived well.

WATduh said:
I think the chief complaint is filter clogging. Never had it in my tank though. Really don't want it either.
There is actually a really easy way to prevent this. In my two 10Gs, I purchased one of those feeding rings at PetSmart and have positioned it so that the water flows directly into the circle so that the duckweed stays afloat and doesn't get caught in the current, thus keeping my plants clean looking.

Here see:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I personally don't like it because it is a very boring plant as far as floating plants are concerned, it adds very little visual interest and obscures light. I very much prefer floaters with cool root systems that add interest when viewed from the front of the tank.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I personally don't like it because it is a very boring plant as far as floating plants are concerned, it adds very little visual interest and obscures light. I very much prefer floaters with cool root systems that add interest when viewed from the front of the tank.
What's an example of the kind of floater that you are talking about? And does it multiply fast?

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
here's a pic of my dwl as seen from the chair in front of the tank.
What are water spangles?
Also, I'd love to see a pic of red root floaters...

·
Registered
220 Posts
Duckweed isn't so bad. I collected some from a local marshland to put on the top of my shrimp bowl. The shrimp definitely enjoy hanging from it. When it get's too thick, about every 2-3 weeks, I just scoop out a handful and throw it into my 45gal. The snails like to eat it from the top of the tank. If you do use a HOB filter, the water return will quickly make a mess as it pushes the stuff under water, whereupon it gets all over EVERYTHING. Studman it seems, came up with the perfect solution. I had to build a sort of "surface dam" from some pieces of filter tubing that sit across the water surface and keep the duckweed to the side of the tank opposite the filter. Temporary set up on a temporary grow out tank, so I'm satisfied. If any would really like some, I'd just give it to you for the price of shipping. The stuff most certainly multiplies like rabbits.

p.s. Interesting thing about duckweed is that it doesn't reproduce sexually. It splits into clones of itself, so when you see it covering a pond or wetland, it is usually one single(maybe 2-4 at most) DNA sequence for all of the plants. I'm not sure if I'd consider hundreds of thousands of tiny plants of the same genetic makeup different organisms or "cells" of one giant organism. Kinda weird.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.