The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
952 Posts
I've always wondered this as well. Why does the CO2 really cause them to stop breathing and die? Are they really not breathing or are they breathing in CO2? What about the CO2 literally kills them? If its the carbonic acid, what is this actually doing to them?

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I run co2 with my shrimps and they have no issues. I have them in both high tech tanks. One tank is running 4bps and the other is 1 bps. I used to run a air stone at night but not anymore. My dropchecker turns light green.

I have a mixture of regular shrimp, cherry's, crs, yellow shrimps and ammanos.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Oh. I didn't know this.

I was just about to go ahead and set up co2 in my Fluval spec. It's not inhabited yet as only set it up a few days ago, but I was hoping on keeping Red Cherry Shrimp. It's probably even more of an issue as it's such a small tank (7.5L/2G)

I could always use the set up in my planted goldfish tank.

·
Registered
199 Posts
its more likely the lack of o2 killing them. you will probably suffocate to death before you are burned from the small amounts of carbonic acid in the tank.
This would be my guess too.

I remember reading in a book, that if you put a human in an airtight cube, they would die from co2 poisoning before they suffocate from lack of o2. I can imagine shrimp would be similar.

·
Registered
745 Posts
wow...alotta misinformation

high CO2 in the water kills them because they are not able to expel the CO2 in their system...

if it was the exact opposite situation, no O2 in the water...they would die because there wouldnt be O2 in the water to pull out/diffuse from the water into their bodies

gills work thru osmosis and diffusion...water flows over them and oxygen diffuses from the HIGH conc O2 water into the LOW conc O2 in their blood stream

CO2 diffuses from the HIGH conc. in their blood to the LOW conc. in the water

...so even if you have A LOT of O2 dissolved in the water, you can still kill things if the CO2 concentration of the water is ridiculously higher than the CO2 concentration in the bloodstream because the CO2 wont diffuse (can only go from high --> low)...which is why you see fish gasping at the surface when CO2 is too high ("easier" to purge CO2 to the air than the saturated water - but they arent designed that way, so they may eventually die)

CO2 kills your fish like CO2 poisoning would kill you...deadly muscle twitches/spasms -mainly in the lungs and heart

so to recap:
O2 in/CO2 out...mess up either side of that and _____ dies

·
Registered
166 Posts
A lot of interesting and helpful information here! I am a bit confused though.. How can you find that happy 'medium' with DIY co2? I am having trouble avoiding the occasional shrimp loss. Would additional o2 help with this(such as an air pump), instead of just running it at night? Not to hijack the thread but any info would be greatly appreciated :D

·
Registered
9,103 Posts
A lot of the Japan breeders that I see use massive co2 to keep the ph low on the tanks, so there must be a balance of adding back o2 that doesn't affect them.
They are not using the co2 to alter the parameters of the water or to lower the pH. They are using it to grow plants better. The pH fluctuations cause by injecting co2 are simply a result of the gas turning into carbonic acid when it reacts with the water, thereby lowering the pH reading. There is no removal of minerals which is what is required to truly lower pH.

You can take your Ph from 8 to 6 with co2 and as long as there is enough o2 in the water relative to co2 t animals wouldn't even notice.

A lot of interesting and helpful information here! I am a bit confused though.. How can you find that happy 'medium' with DIY co2? I am having trouble avoiding the occasional shrimp loss. Would additional o2 help with this(such as an air pump), instead of just running it at night? Not to hijack the thread but any info would be greatly appreciated :D
You cannot "control" DIY co2. It is just a crap shoot.

Just as an FYI for people. It is not a good idea to keep shrimp (especially if they are more sensitive like CRS and you want to bred them) in a tank with co2. Many people do it successfully but they aren't really putting super high levels of co2 into the tank that most high tech tanks require.

Again, keeping shrimp successfully in a co2 injected tank is exception, not the rule.

·
Registered
166 Posts
You cannot "control" DIY co2. It is just a crap shoot.

Just as an FYI for people. It is not a good idea to keep shrimp (especially if they are more sensitive like CRS and you want to bred them) in a tank with co2. Many people do it successfully..
I wouldnt make any attempt at restricting or controlling DIY co2 under any circumstance..I dont want the mess!!:hihi: and trust me I've read the horror stories!

Do you have any advice/tips or experience to increase the likelihood of successful shrimp keeping with (DIY or not) co2?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.