The Planted Tank Forum banner

41 - 60 of 91 Posts

Registered
Nice tank and fish @Greggz, but I didn't realize you use co2. Don't you know that's cheating?
Hahahaha!!

Yeah, REAL planted tank enthusiasts find a way to grow plants like you with a desk lamp, and they don't even like getting their hands wet!

Registered
Why
Here's from a couple of days ago.

Good luck to you. I am predicting it will be short lived membership here.

View attachment 1026565
wow....seeing this makes me realize how far I have to go. I look at my newly scaped nano tanks and then I realize how long it takes to get that level of beauty.
The most beautiful planted tanks I have seen are the ones that are well established. They have an 鈥渋t factor鈥 that I believe is a combination of the plants developing maturity plus the admiration of the dedication it takes to maintain the tank for that period of time.
鈥楶rops to Greggz...

Registered
I mean those kind of tanks are not long term as fast growers want a monoculture and many stem plants really can't take pruning over and over..they tend to die out.
Why don't you check out his journal? All 5 years and over 3800 posts. Try to count how many times he's had to completely start over because the plants "died out".

I've grown more plants in my time.. I KNOW the score.
Well, your tank certainly doesn't look like a horticulturist's tank, that's for sure. Growing terrestrial plants and growing aquatic plants are two completely different things. I'm a relative newcomer to this hobby, and am excited to learn as much as I can. You would be wise to drop the ego and learn from people who have more botanical skill than most of us could learn in 5 lifetimes.

Registered
Why

wow....seeing this makes me realize how far I have to go. I look at my newly scaped nano tanks and then I realize how long it takes to get that level of beauty.
The most beautiful planted tanks I have seen are the ones that are well established. They have an 鈥渋t factor鈥 that I believe is a combination of the plants developing maturity plus the admiration of the dedication it takes to maintain the tank for that period of time.
鈥楶rops to Greggz...
Thanks for the kind words, it's much appreciated.

And yes a tank does take time to become "established" and mature. Once it does, everything else is easier.

Registered
Discussion Starter #46
Oh yeah ,I've seen the vids. What does any of that have to do with buying a piece of driftwood at great expense and then covering the grain,and color of the wood with plants? Like I said,you could use any branch from a local pond for that. So far..all the photos made my point...did you know my Bolbitis has eaten a great piece of ironwood?..lol. Hell,I might as well have used a hunk of old broken concrete!..would look the same.
I've repeated that and you don't seem to get it. I will not get into insults. After 50 years and professionals met and learned from over the years.. Eh,if you want to pay $75 for a hunk of artistic wood...then cover it in Anubias. Fine.

Registered
Oh yeah ,I've seen the vids. What does any of that have to do with buying a piece of driftwood at great expense and then covering the grain,and color of the wood with plants?
I posted the pics and video because you requested it.

If I am not mistaken, I seem to remember you saying "Lets see greegy your masterpiece and fish" just a page back.

So I obliged you.

Since you critiqued my tank a bit, I guess I could do the same for yours. Out of kindness I will refrain.

Registered
Discussion Starter #50
It looks fine. Just that once the plants grew in,you could have used branches from any plant.My point.

Registered
Discussion Starter #52
I critiqued that you missed the point greggyz. You showed us no wood ( eh,didnt sound right) and that's the whole point. Why you and others took it into hating aquascapes is something I can't diagnose with group think.
Like I said 20 times. Once the wood is covered..the specialness of the WOOD is moot. You don't see the color of the wood well and what you do see right now,it's going to disappear soon. No knock on the looks of the whole tank. Just that apple tree branches tied could have been used. ON the other hand..if you put that wood in a cichlid tank..it looks great!

Registered
I critiqued that you missed the point greggyz.
No actually in between the ranting about the wood you made a bunch of statements about growing plants in general that are pretty much complete nonsense. Things I would expect to hear from a beginner who has done a lot of reading but not much doing.

Once again, good luck to you. I am tapping out of this conversation. Enjoy all the new found friends you are making around here.

Registered
Using driftwood in aquascaping cannot be permanent, as wood decays in water and will disfigure over time and need to be replaced. It鈥檚 a lot of work if one needs to unplug every moss and epiphyte that colonized the wood and restart all over.

This is why I don鈥檛 use wood and prefer attaching epiphytes to rock which is permanent and never need replacement. I prefer larva and lace rock because they have rough and porous surfaces for firm rooting of epiphytes, and their light weight makes it safe to pile up in hill and valley. I don鈥檛 use big rock but prefer smaller ones I can take out to glue plants.

Attachments

Registered
Discussion Starter #55
Everything I said..is in the title Greg. Cant be more clear.
Tiger. Exactly. Wood decays,Ancistrus will eat it also..why I noticed aquarium epiphytes really thrive best on porous rocks. Like in nature.

Registered
@Stan510 I can understand having an opinion but it feels like you just shamed a bunch of aquascapers and then insulted some longstanding and helpful members of the community. This isn't a pissing contest, but if it was, it's safe to say that you'd likely lose given the amount of dedicated aquascapers on this site. Let's build people up, not break them down. Can we just agree to disagree, that people have their own preferences? Once my driftwood sinks, I'm going to glue (because I hate tying down) some petite golden anubias nana and nobody can stop me, mwahaha! I might even attach some moss.

@jellopuddinpop's examples blew me out of the water! There's art and then there's art! I'd kill for a jungle aquarium scape.

@Greggz All hail the Dutch scape master! Seriously, it's breathtaking!

@Asteroid Wow, they look like tropical islands, that's beautiful!

Premium Member
It looks fine.
Understatement of the year!

I think the red color of manzanita is beautiful, of course you shouldn't use it with the bark on. I think the color of spider wood is not beautiful. I choose driftwood for shape.

On a side note, I think you should show at least a minimal amount of respect for fellow members by trying to get their usernames right. The names are all there on the side of the page and you can use the copy function if needed.

Registered
Driftwood makes good aquascaping architecture, but rarely do master aquascapers completely covered up the wood with epiphytes. Takashi Amano advised against completely covering up and always leaving some bare wood and rock surfaces in his forest and iwagami setups as shown in his last piece of work in Sumida Aquarium in Toykio.

Attachments

41 - 60 of 91 Posts