The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 91 Posts

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seen it over and over..why spend big bucks,then cover it in mosses and plants until you cant even see the shape or wood? Makes no sense to me. I think the best piece for epiphytes would be some 3-6" diameter branch or root..that needs no bends but for a fork here and there and THAT you can cover with all your hearts delight.
I tell you.. I also don't see any normal human ( lol) keeping Java Moss pruned tight to some twisty root. Its just not possible to do that so often as it takes. Again,a fat piece of wood or wide rock is the best way.
Just had to get out of my system.
You do know that so many great tanks photos are staged for the moment the photo is taken and not something that can exist for months let alone years?

·
Registered
3,239 Posts
I think its a to each their own kind of thing. I just love seeing a big ol piece of wood with plants growing all over it. It echos what I see when out walking in the woods. Most (all?) of the contest tanks are definitely too high of maintenance to be kept around and in top form constantly. They are not designed for permanence any more than a super car is designed to be the vehicle you take the kids to school in or pick up a weeks worth of groceries. But they are still pretty cool to see.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
Seen it over and over..why spend big bucks,then cover it in mosses and plants until you cant even see the shape or wood? Makes no sense to me. I think the best piece for epiphytes would be some 3-6" diameter branch or root..that needs no bends but for a fork here and there and THAT you can cover with all your hearts delight.
I tell you.. I also don't see any normal human ( lol) keeping Java Moss pruned tight to some twisty root. Its just not possible to do that so often as it takes. Again,a fat piece of wood or wide rock is the best way.
Just had to get out of my system.
You do know that so many great tanks photos are staged for the moment the photo is taken and not something that can exist for months let alone years?
I'm not sure what your point is. Your dictating what you like and everyone should do the same. I've seen tanks with minimal planting that looks good and others where everything is covered. Why don't you at least show what you accomplished. Tanks with epiphytes can actually be maintained long-term since there isn't constant trimming and out of control growth and many are not staged for the moment.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My point is..why pick a great looking piece of wood at some expense from the aqua store meant for the dead center of your aquarium,and then make it an amorphous blob of green? They might as well have just used a big hunk of trunk that you can pick out of any river nearby. Yet,they cover Spiderwood,or Manzanita...why?
Its like buying a Ferrari..and then drive it with the car cover still on it..lol..with only cutouts for the windows!

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've kept fish for near 50 years and once worked as an aquatic technicians for a local Museum as well as managing a University greenhouse. Also was offered a job at the Academy of sciences as an aquarist at one time.
So,I know fish.
But,the hard sell of aquascaping has quirks. Like how does high Co2 levels shorten fish lifespan? Or that constant dosing of nutrients great for plants,but not needed at all by fish.
Right now,I'm only running a 240 gallon of large Rainbow fish and young clown loaches with a mixture of other fish. I've posted many photos on Tropical Fish Forums.net. Stans trials and tribulations. Since my last photos I've added some rockwork and Alternanthera. Otherwise,you see it more or less.

·
Registered
117 Posts
In nature, in plant heavy rivers, wood catches debris, plantlets, etc in the current, offering a natural place to grow wild.
Or gets covered in algae and can't be seen anyways.

So, some people like to replicate that?

This hobby is awesome in that there's so right or wrong way to do something like aquascaping.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Its not a right or wrong..just quirky that some people buy expensive wood...then cover it all. Its like buying a Pirate ship for your kids tank,,,then cover it in moss and Anubias-lol. "Dad,where's Spongebob??"..

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
433 Posts
pretty sure you've made your point.... that you don't see the point.

but others do.

I mean a lot of those people with super cars never take them out of their garages. or just do once or twice. But they like to know they can if they wanted. Those who cover pricier pieces of wood do so because they like knowing there is something beautiful under the other beautiful stuff. kinda like adding chrome parts to your engine. or wearing silk underwear.

Think I like the silk underwear analogy a little too much.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No,I'm the only one not a sheep..and making perfect sensible logic. One day,you will age enough to get that I was right and how its kind of crazy to order Spiderwood at a hefty price..then cover it in moss and Anubias to the point you cant even tell what they are attached to.
You people sure are sensitive-lol.
Angry over this.😂 Its my observation and I'm sticking to it!

·
Registered
263 Posts
You whine about what other people are doing with their property. Then you get defensive when someone reminds you that they are free to do whatever they want with things they own, as long as they aren't breaking any laws. And you're calling others sensitive? :ROFLMAO:

I get that its your preference, and that it's not what you would do. Thankfully it isn't up to you, and people have the freedom to scape however they want. All of your experience and all of the credentials in the world will not change that.

Enjoy the rest of your day.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Its not a preference per se. Its the basic idea of spend plenty of extra dinero for red Manzanita or twisted Spider root...then basic remove all that you bought it for! I mean,you could tie Bird perches together and in a few short months have the same look..ha..well,almost.
Look at Amano's Lisbon tank...other than a bit- and very small bit- that Ironwood he used is invisible...He could have used 2x4's and a year later it would look the same..wink.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
...why spend big bucks, then cover it in mosses and plants until you cant even see the shape or wood? Makes no sense to me

...You do know that so many great tanks photos are staged for the moment the photo is taken and not something that can exist for months let alone years?

...But, the hard sell of aquascaping has quirks. Like how does high Co2 levels shorten fish lifespan? Or that constant dosing of nutrients great for plants, but not needed at all by fish.
You seem to be anti-aquascaping, or high-tech in general. Any other complaints?

·
Registered
400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think many things about aquariums are glossed over thanks to the photos and vids of scapers. I thought the easy one would go first.
I'm not the only one..I've seen posts made on British aquatic plant forums that were spot on..one said after looking at a big bucks nano tano set up- easily near 2 thousand after top of the lights,tank,and system for 20 gallons was "But for the very few small fish,you could do the same in tank with no water"..terrarium style he meant. He got plenty of thumbs up.
I'm a plant person..worked in Horticulture...but I need my fish tank to have fish!

·
Registered
486 Posts
You know, I would be very interested in a tank that looked like it had nice driftwood covered in epiphytes, but actually it was cobbled together from a cheap material. I'm sure it could be done, but I bet it would take a lot of skill to disguise the driftwood substitute. It's not like everyone could achieve that look easily and they are just too stupid or lazy to do so.

We all have different ideas and values about what makes a good tank, so we don't all make the same choices. As such a wise person with years of experience I would hope that you understand that trends come and go, in aquascaping and in all things. Sometimes a trend is an affront to our personal taste, but that's just how it goes. It's not like other people are using your money to buy that driftwood. (Or is that the problem? If other people are using your money to buy and then ruin driftwood with place, please contact law enforcement.)

Believe me, I love being snarky about stuff, but 1) I know my opinion is subjective, 2) I sincerely wish that people with super weird and ugly tanks love those tanks, because they have to live with them and not me, and 3) nothing is more exciting to me than when someone comes out of left field and shows me that the thing I was hating on can actually be good. Maybe that thing is still awful 99% of the time, but when someone shows me the exception that I couldn't even imagine it's very powerful. But you have to keep an open mind, or you might miss it.

1 - 20 of 91 Posts