The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The water coming back from the water changer into my tank is looking more cloudy every water change it seems. It freaks me out a little, but then it clears up in 15 minutes, so I dont really know what to think of it. If anybody can help me figure out what this that would be great.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
466 Posts
It's just oxygen in the tap water. Everyone's tank looks like that after a water change. Perfectly normal :)

·
Registered
185 Posts
How much hot water do you use compared to cold. Try this get some glasses fill one up with hot and one up with the cold from the tap. And my WC don't do that at all I use buckets and a changer depends on how much I'm changing.

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
The colder the water the more gases are dissolved in it. When you mix in hot water to get the temperature right you warm it up and the gases come out of solution, clouding the water with micro bubbles. (Just speculating.) It is getting colder now, so tap water is likely to be colder.

·
Registered
66 Posts
The same

Mine does the same you'll be fine mine tends to be worse when the water is real cold and I add hot to it...

·
Registered
354 Posts
If you use a valve to modulate the flow of water into the tank, it causes a pressure drop across the valve; high pressure on the supply side, low pressure on the tank side. Dissolved gases will de-gas when the water moves abruptly from high to low pressure. Much like a diver getting the bends when he ascends too quickly.

I can adjust the shut off valve in my Python hose for maximum noise and make my tank look like milk with all the microscopic bubbles in it. Adjusting the valve for maximum noise gives me maximum milkiness. I tend to do this because I believe my well water is high in CO2 because the fish are always gulping at the surface after a water change, so I try to de-gas the water first.

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
I have a very similar situation but I doubt it's a water temperature in my case. I setup a 20 gallon with regular Seachem Flourite. I washed it many times but water was still a bit cloudy, so I decided to put it in the tank.

It has been a week now with a number of water changes and I still see that cloudiness, especially when my HOB starts to move water. I cleaned tank walls a few times and guess what? Lots of "dust" from substrate on the glass.

I hope it will clears up soon.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
I'm guessing it's something similar to what Hoppy proposed.

I've lived places before where the water looked cloudy right out of the tap, but would clear up after a couple minutes or so. I'm pretty sure it was just full of nearly-microscopic bubbles.

Maybe something similar?

·
Planted Tank Nation
889 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the responses guys, its good to see that it happens to a lot of people. The temperature coming out of the water changer is almost exactly the same as the tank, so that a little weird. But im pretty sure, like hoppy said, the water is a lot more cold now mixing with hot water at the beginning of the water changer makes a ton of microbubbles even though the temperature is the same by time it makes it to the tank.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
The colder the water the more gases are dissolved in it. When you mix in hot water to get the temperature right you warm it up and the gases come out of solution, clouding the water with micro bubbles. (Just speculating.) It is getting colder now, so tap water is likely to be colder.
+1, Mitchfish9 Are you measuring temperature or feeling it?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts