The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any known reason why angelfish tilt sideways to charge something? Is it a display of some sort, are they trying to be invisible, or are they trying to be more intimidating by doing something a lot of fish probably won't recognize or know what to do with?

·
Registered
987 Posts
Only time I've seen that is when spawning. Seems to be at least partially territorial. Interestingly enough, others don't try to fight the ones doing this.

My display tank is currently dealing with this - there's a pair on one end, and two females on the other end. Everyone else is attempting to stay out of their way. I did a w/c and added a couple of juveniles yesterday. You'd think that a community tank with 12 angels plus other assorted fish, they'd get the message that there will be no successful breeding here. Oh, and the two females can't decide who is gonna get relief this time, so they're arguing. Ah; hormones. In another day or so, they'll have all spawned who're going to, and things will settle back down.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've recently seen this sort of sideways-dashing behavior from my angel, who is a bit fed up of silver dollars in its favorite spot. I don't think this is breeding behavior, the angel doesn't have a mate and hasn't laid eggs. Could it be more of a "THIS IS MY PLACE" gesture than a breeding display?

·
Registered
600 Posts
I am by far no expert... but my initial thought is that it might have to do somewhat with their shape and how they would attack prey on the surface? Not sure how that all translates, but food for thought :)

·
Registered
74 Posts
They do that when they are really serious about chasing an opponent. Regular upright chasing is sort of only half hearted. Could be territorial, but more likely defending a spawning site. A male and female will do that during the pairing up process to test if the other one is worthy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.