The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Long story short hydra, fenbendazole, hydra dead.
All paramaters etc are where they should be.
sponge filter and eheim 2211 on 11.4 gal
I added a hob with only fluval carbon to absorb the fenben and within 2 minutes of running the hob all of my blue bee and cbs started the dance of death. They had been acting normal throughout the fenben treatment.
Hob had been stored in my extra aquarium junk box but away from chemicals.The hob wasn't clean but had been dry for weeks and rinsed prior to use, the carbon was purchased 30 min earlier and rinsed before use.
What could have possibly happened?
Was it the carbon? Was it the hob?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah it wasn't the fenben, that had already been in the tank 24+ hrs with no signs of stress and I've accidentally tripled the .1g to 10gal dosing on a tank before with no ill effects on the crs. It was almost immediate after the addition of the HOB filter (within 30 seconds they were flying around the tank).

Must have been a residue or an organic build up inside the impeller container.

Luckily alot survived after i pulled the HOB dropped another airstone and increased filtration. But they were at the muscle spasm to laying sideways on the substrate point.

Lesson learned: Don't pull filters and let them dry out without cleaning everything WELL.

·
Registered
233 Posts
Well that's scary, what could have been in the HOB? What did you last use it for?

Another lesson to point out - it is always nice to keep an eye on things after you make changes to a tank. I.E. don't put the equip on and go to work/bed.

Hope the survivors continue to do well.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.