The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a small 10 gallon, pretty heavily planted tank with a pair of guppys, about six week old guppy fry, three otos and a ghost shrimp. About a month ago I added 4 Ramshorn snails. They were doing great, moving all over the tank, laying eggs, just generally seemed healthy. Then last week they all just disappeared. I found one empy shell, I can't see any others. Other than a small 20% water change I did, nothing had changed. The guppy fry and other fish are fine, as is the ghost shrimp. Any ideas? I was really enjoying the Ramshorns. One other thing, the eggs they layed seemed to disappear after a few days or so? Otos eat them?

·
Registered
795 Posts
if it is heavily planted maybe they are just hiding very well or stuck in driftwood or cholla wood. They will crawl if they can fit and sometimes they won't fit and will try and get stuck. I have a few rams stuck in cholla wood for two days. Had to shake them out.

·
Registered
442 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I checked my foods. The Hikari micro pellets I was feeding the guppies has copper sulfate in the ingredients. Mayr that did if to them. I'm gonna buy a few more and no longer feed that food.

·
Registered
795 Posts
a little bit of copper is not going to kill them. If you really want to. You can invest in a API Copper Test and see if the levels are high.

How big were they? Maybe died of old age?

·
Registered
795 Posts
well their growth rate is based on alot of things so they may be old but small. I have a few that are not growing compare to another tank. so confused.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
huh.

wierd, snails tend to be the more resilient things that can live in an aquarium, imho...

what's your pH, KH and GH like? That's about the only other thing I can think of, is maybe they had issues with soft/acid water.

Or possibly some sort of snail-specific disease/parasite, but I imagine that sorta thing is rather rare, since more people seem to be trying to get rid of snails then to get them established...

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
whelp, that's not it then... : /

Has anyone ever observed a ghost shrimp eating snails? About the only other thing I can think of is maybe one of your critters just learned to eat snails, and went around snacking.

I really have no idea, I'm somewhat doubtful it's something in the water, as I would think the shrimp would be harder hit by almost anything that would affect a snail.

If you figure anything out, please post and keep us updated.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts