The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Strange as it sounds, I've had no luck with this plant. I buy it in a round (about a silver dollar size) online, float it in my tanks where all of my other floaters thrive, and it shrivels to mush. I didn't (at the time) use anything but liquid ferts, Aqueon Plant food, for my floaters. I've tried it in pH of 6.2, all the way up to 7.4. (I have a well, and also Municipal water, so different pH.) But it always just stops growing and falls apart in my tanks. My other floating plants thrive. I've tried it in high light, and medium light. No go. I really love the stuff, but can't keep putting out 25 bucks a pop to buy it online when I can't keep it alive. Does it need something that my other floating plants (frogbit, water lettuce, hornwort) don't? It's been about a year since I've had it, and am thinking about buy more to try again. Anyone else with this issue?

·
Registered
6,822 Posts
Hi AWolf,

+1 for BDpss1985's comment, the plants prefers calm waters. Also, if found dosing with liquid CO2 (aka Excel or API CO2 Booster) can cause problems.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Water movement? It thrives in still waters

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
No filters or water movement other than a bubbler. I use my floating plants as filters.

Bump:
Hi AWolf,

+1 for BDpss1985's comment, the plants prefers calm waters. Also, if found dosing with liquid CO2 (aka Excel or API CO2 Booster) can cause problems.
No CO2 or dosing of anything but liquid ferts like Aqueon plant food and Leaf Zone.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Interesting, I've had the opposite problem and grown a huge mat of it almost by accident. Med-high light floating in a grow-out tank. No plant ferts but pretty high nitrates from all the fish food/waste. Just took it out and secured it to a piece of slate with some netting.

$25 a pop for silver dollar size? Wow, I'm sitting on a gold mine!

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
In my opinion, that just might be the problem. I found that riccia likes high light and co2.
This would make more sense. I keep somewhat 'primative' tanks, without the bangs and whistles. Very simple. But if it is floating, it should get all the CO2 it needs? I never sink it. Is it possible my fish eat it? Bettas, white clouds, otos, gouramis. It does sort of 'disappear'. I just figured it was melting away to nothing. It never seemed to grow. Got brown around the edges, as I recall. And then started breaking up.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting, I've had the opposite problem and grown a huge mat of it almost by accident. Med-high light floating in a grow-out tank. No plant ferts but pretty high nitrates from all the fish food/waste. Just took it out and secured it to a piece of slate with some netting.

$25 a pop for silver dollar size? Wow, I'm sitting on a gold mine!
Well, maybe 20 dollars. I'm thinking 15 shipping. Can't remember exactly, but it was at least 20 dollars. Yea, that's why I don't want to keep trying if I don't have the right conditions. But I hear it is so easy, and I love the way it looks, so it would be nice to keep alive.

Bump:
Hi AWolf,

Gouramis seem to like vegetable matter; have you seen them picking at the riccia?
No. I never 'saw' them picking at it.

·
Registered
872 Posts
This would make more sense. I keep somewhat 'primative' tanks, without the bangs and whistles. Very simple. But if it is floating, it should get all the CO2 it needs? I never sink it. Is it possible my fish eat it? Bettas, white clouds, otos, gouramis. It does sort of 'disappear'. I just figured it was melting away to nothing. It never seemed to grow.
The biters could be it too! one reason I think that it may not like the completely stagnant water and med light is because I had very similar conditions in a holding tank during my rescape and the mosses did not do very well. Riccia, pelia, java, christmas, etc.. I think a little flow is important and co2 + med-high light for good thick mosses (or liverwort if you want to be technical). ^.^

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The biters could be it too! one reason I think that it may not like the completely stagnant water and med light is because I had very similar conditions in a holding tank during my rescape and the mosses did not do very well. Riccia, pelia, java, christmas, etc.. I think a little flow is important and co2 + med-high light for good thick mosses (or liverwort if you want to be technical). ^.^
Yea, my tanks are pretty stagnant, even though they have bubblers. I get bio film on top regularly. I guess I'll stick with the other floaters for now. I really love the riccia though I don't want to keep throwing money away on it unless it can work in my type of setup. Bummer.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Are your other plants growing clean? Algae and other organics will slow it's growth unless it's under optimal growth conditions which would require co2. If your floating it, it can definitely grow without added co2 or high light, but again if it's not growing fast tank conditions will have an affect.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Are your other plants growing clean? Algae and other organics will slow it's growth unless it's under optimal growth conditions which would require co2. If your floating it, it can definitely grow without added co2 or high light, but again if it's not growing fast tank conditions will have an affect.
I really only grow floaters, and yea, they are healthy and clean. No algae issues on the plants, just some on the tank glass. At the time, I had hornwort in abundance in that tank as well as water lettuce & frogbit. I kept up with Aqueon or Leaf zone type Macros weekly, and all was well.

Bump:
You run quite high temps, how does it do with those?
Well, is 75 high? The tanks I tried it in were kept about that temp. (I'm only keeping the baby betta tank at 82, in case you're referring to that tank.) It's been about a year, but I haven't changed much about the tanks at all. I would love to have riccia. I think maybe it is the current/water movement issue. Unless someone can chime in that keeps it in stagnant water successfully, I'm leaning toward that as the reason it did poorly. Bummer. I don't want to add more water movement just for riccia at this point. Maybe some day.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
IIRC in the HOB immersed plants thread, someone was having Riccia growing like crazy in the outflow of his HOB filter. So it sounds more like this could be an issue with water chemistry.

I used to be able to grow Water Sprite like it was a garden weed, this new variety with the pinnate leaves though does very poorly in our water.

·
Registered
321 Posts
I had plenty of riccia in gourami tanks, this is not a problem. Actually, gouramis (and other bubble nesters - bettas, paradise fish etc.) like riccia a lot, they use it to build their nests.

BTW, did you always get your riccia from the same source? There are different varieties of riccia, some are more cold water and seasonal, they some times like to die off in winter. Try to get it from another place.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.