The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why are Denson Barbs So expensive. Recently $40 from liveaquaria.com before being reduced.

Most barbs are under $5 I think.

$40 for a fish is getting into the Salt water fish territory.

Thanks.

·
Registered
4,032 Posts
It is a pretty new fish to the hoby, is rare and endangered, and has not been bred in captivity yet, apart from in ponds....

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a pretty new fish to the hoby, is rare and endangered, and has not been bred in captivity yet, apart from in ponds....

So they have to go out and catch an endangered fish for the aquarium? Yikes, that is no good.

Who wants to go into the Denson barb fish farming business with me?

We can use the dirty fish water for aquaponics and grow high value crops and make money on both sides.

Anyone interested in teaming up? lol

Reactions: shrimpaholich

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
This all comes down to supply and demand. It's a new, colorful and desirable fish, so it's going to command a large price. As more are bread, you should see the price drop.

You have several options. Just keep other barbs, wait for the price to drop or pay the high current price.

Expensive fish are not just restricted to SW fish. Take a look at discus prices, or some types of angles. Some betas can command high prices. As a final example, here is a swordtail going for a high price (offsite link) - Tropical Fish for Freshwater Aquariums: Hi Fin Lyretail Swordtail Livebearer, Blood Red

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
If people were not willing to pay the price for them; they would not cost so much. Everything bought or sold as previously said is supply-vs-demand. I remember back when a moderate quality domestic discus was rarely found under $75 each...now you can get nice quality specimens for $25-30. You can find a lot of SW fish under $40....FW is not really a cheaper hobby than marine. My FOWLR is honestly a pretty cheap setup compared to some of my FW tanks where Ive spend $200+ on driftwood and stocked it with wild/F1 cichlids :)

If you dont want to pay the high price tag look at a similar fish. Heck when properly kept even $2 Giant danios are stunning fish. I dropped 8 into my Synspilum tank for dithers and the danios get as many compliments as the Syn.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Petsmart usually has them.
I own 2.
I wait for the 1/2 off or so sales and try to catch them with some left.
Took 5 months to time it right and get the last 2 lol.
Paid I think 5 bucks each vs 10 or whatever the normal price was.

·
Registered
601 Posts
They're going for $15 locally. I'm looking at buying a few more Panda Garra's but the cheapest I see them is for $11.00. Local fish farms have prices ranging from $5.99 or so, but they're all out. As I understand it this is another fish they're having trouble breeding so any that are in circulation and for sale now are wild caught.

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Petsmart usually has them.
I own 2.
I wait for the 1/2 off or so sales and try to catch them with some left.
Took 5 months to time it right and get the last 2 lol.
Paid I think 5 bucks each vs 10 or whatever the normal price was.
How often does Petsmart have the 50% sale on Barbs?

Is this a black Friday thing or other times of the year as well?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
It's just their normally rotating sales.
You just have to catch it at the right time!
I managed to get lucky once lol
Also have to be part of their pet perks thing or no sale price.
It's the same for any fish.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It's just their normally rotating sales.
You just have to catch it at the right time!
I managed to get lucky once lol
Also have to be part of their pet perks thing or no sale price.
It's the same for any fish.

I managed to get a lot of Tetra for their 50% sales of Tetra(it may still be going on). I did not know they rotate that sale to Barbs. I know the normal fish price at Petsmart without any sales is pretty high.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Also don't put these guys with shrimp.
I kept losing shrimp ie I'd find them dead.
These buggers were responsible.
They pick at the shrimp till they kill them.
Sometimes they eat them then sometimes just leave them dead.
Once I moved them to another 55g shrimp deaths stopped.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Why are Denson Barbs So expensive. Recently $40 from liveaquaria.com before being reduced.

Most barbs are under $5 I think.

$40 for a fish is getting into the Salt water fish territory.

Thanks.
A price is a price on either side of the hobby. Don't pay any price until you've shopped for what you're interested in. It really is that simple.

$40 for a fish is far from SW territory. Google Alpha Swordtail and you may be in for quite a surprise. Some would have trouble paying $300 for a trio of swordtails and some wouldn't.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
They were $15 for awhile on that same site. I thought they were breading in captivity now. Maybe they weren't turning out well. I bought mine for 50% off at Petsmart, so $5 each. I bought 8-9. They are beautiful fish and school better than anything I've ever had.

Also, on the note of SW fish being expensive, just look at FW rays or arrowana. Super expensive fish. Then look at full size sharks. The fish is usually the cheapest part of the setup regardless. From $1 neons to $2000 rays.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Copied from Wiki on this fish:

Breeding[edit]

Over the years many efforts have been made to breed this rapidly depleting species in captivity, initially with limited success. In 2009, success came from the work carried out at the Fisheries College, Kerala by Dr.T.V Anna Mercy. Equally if not more important breeding efforts have been carried out by Chester Zoo and two amateur fish-lovers from Chennai (India), Venkatesh and Murali.[5] These efforts would pave the way for standardizing the process and would be a major boost to conservation and the ornamental fish trade in India. Large numbers are now being bred in captivity at commercial facilities.[4][10]

Reactions: Freemananana

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
You all made me go and buy a full priced 10.00 pet smart one as he was all alone with danios and pale and I felt sorry and brought him home to be with my 2.
Hope he recovers. Expensive charity case if not lol.

·
Registered
2,971 Posts
You all made me go and buy a full priced 10.00 pet smart one as he was all alone with danios and pale and I felt sorry and brought him home to be with my 2.
Hope he recovers. Expensive charity case if not lol.

My whole school was from petsmart. They were in a tank with a couple plecos and tiger barbs. They were pale white, they looked like rummy nose tetras. It was awful. Within a month, they were some of the most beautiful fish I've ever seen. Like I've said, they will be the main fish in my next tank, I believe.

I am glad I wasn't going crazy about the captivity breeding. I've seen it pop up from time to time. They must still be figuring the whole thing out.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts