The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So red cherry shrimp are Neocaridina heteropoda/N. davidii. So are blue dream cherry shrimp. So are yellow shrimp. Why is it that blue dreams and yellow shrimp are more expensive? If they're all the same species, shouldn't they have similar fecundities? Or is it another "they got bred so hard that now they're basically the Habsburgs" ?

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I would add that reds seem to breed much more true, thus keeping the "supply" side of this equation higher. I cull so many blue dreams every time I get into that tank, and rarely have to cull any from my bloody Mary tank. I also cull a few goldenback yellows, but not nearly as many as blues. My black rose project just turned into a cull tank because if I culled with any consistency there would have been almost none left.

I'll also add that yellows and oranges have produced larger numbers for me than even reds, though this may have been coincidental. I use the same water, food, husbandry, etc on each tank but some simply do better than others. Part of that may be fecundity of the shrimp lines, not necessarily related to color.

In my own tanks, if you wanted 20 bloody Mary shrimp from me -I could net out 20 perfectly red shrimp easily yet if you wanted true dark blues, I'd be netting around for a long while to find specimens that fit the bill.

I once bought a group of gorgeous blue dream imports. They were the only shrimp in their tank. I wound up putting the entire tank full into a cull tank. They never threw one remotely blue baby, 100% wild types. Here's a photo from that disaster showing a parent shrimp and a few offspring.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I would add that reds seem to breed much more true, thus keeping the "supply" side of this equation higher. I cull so many blue dreams every time I get into that tank, and rarely have to cull any from my bloody Mary tank. I also cull a few goldenback yellows, but not nearly as many as blues. My black rose project just turned into a cull tank because if I culled with any consistency there would have been almost none left.

I'll also add that yellows and oranges have produced larger numbers for me than even reds, though this may have been coincidental. I use the same water, food, husbandry, etc on each tank but some simply do better than others. Part of that may be fecundity of the shrimp lines, not necessarily related to color.

In my own tanks, if you wanted 20 bloody Mary shrimp from me -I could net out 20 perfectly red shrimp easily yet if you wanted true dark blues, I'd be netting around for a long while to find specimens that fit the bill.

I once bought a group of gorgeous blue dream imports. They were the only shrimp in their tank. I wound up putting the entire tank full into a cull tank. They never threw one remotely blue baby, 100% wild types. Here's a photo from that disaster showing a parent shrimp and a few offspring.
This is why I never spent the money on green jades, despite them being my favorite color morph. I don't have the patience to cull and cull. lol

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
My biggest advice would be to avoid imports at all costs, no matter how pretty they are. The line I have now is the best of the 4 times I've tried groups of these, but are still far from perfect. I got them from a member of the forums here. I'm "reverse culling" them now and moving the most perfect specimens to one of my 20 gallon breeder tanks. I'm a good 6 to 12 months away from seeing how this works out but so far they at least aren't throwing wild types.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Seems like I'm really lucky with the number of blues I have in my first ever breeding of blue dreams.

I assume if they are quite blue at two weeks they'll stay that way?
In my limited experience with neocaridina, their colors only get better as they grow.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
In my limited experience with neocaridina, their colors only get better as they grow.
Same here. Only possible exception being some reds get very dark with older age, especially females. But that would only make a blue dreams better in most people's grading scale.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
Don't want to throw by all accounts a respectable breeder under the bus, but one of my early batches came from him. And in fairness to Lucas, a) I bought them from a hobbyist customer who had a few die and freaked out and traded them for fish and b) I knew darn well that there were a few babies from a former batch I hadn't been able to fish out that a male may have gotten big enough to have impregnated some before I could remove them, which would change everything. That must have been 6 years ago and I've wanted to try his line again since fairly.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Don't want to throw by all accounts a respectable breeder under the bus, but one of my early batches came from him. And in fairness to Lucas, a) I bought them from a hobbyist customer who had a few die and freaked out and traded them for fish and b) I knew darn well that there were a few babies from a former batch I hadn't been able to fish out that a male may have gotten big enough to have impregnated some before I could remove them, which would change everything. That must have been 6 years ago and I've wanted to try his line again since fairly.

I plan on it. My blue dreams are crap. Throwing lots of carbon rillis and the like. His “A” team is the one to buy from what I understand. Seems like it’ll be a $100 gamble when I buy them but hopefully worth it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
I'd pay $100 for two sexed pairs of dark blues if I knew for sure they'd throw like offspring! Would offer to sell you some of mine, but I think in your shoes I'd go with his line. The one thing I'd suggest most is make sure every last shrimp is out of that tank first.

·
snails are your friend
3,093 Posts
Seeing as I've paid a hundred+ multiple times for shrimp that looked exactly like I want, that had babies that were garbage this many times, it would be a bargain. You have no idea. The line I have now needs culling but is good overall, and that's SO much better than any experience up until now. The wild type only baby-making imported ones were such perfect adults. They came from a big name breeder too, but they were imported. My mind is still blown that NOT ONE DARN SHRIMP they ever produced was a keeper. How could one even produce such pretty shrimp that produce babies with literally no remotely similar offspring?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Seeing as I've paid a hundred+ multiple times for shrimp that looked exactly like I want, that had babies that were garbage this many times, it would be a bargain. You have no idea. The line I have now needs culling but is good overall, and that's SO much better than any experience up until now. The wild type only baby-making imported ones were such perfect adults. They came from a big name breeder too, but I think truly mostly he imports. My mind is still blown that NOT ONE DARN SHRIMP they ever produced was a keeper. How could one even produce such shrimp?

The odds are unlikely. Kind of figures. The us market needs better. I only have four varieties so far but my goal with them is to get them nice and straight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.