The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

You know, I visited Aqua Forest Aquarium last night, and I fell in love with the ADA line of equipment. But honestly, I need some rational reviews on these products. I will definitely say that the looks are there, but what about the functionality?

For instance, what's the difference between a $20 generic pollen diffuser vs a $50 ADA diffuser? I just don't know if the looks can justify the price, if the functionality just isn't there :(.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Why a Ferrari Enzo over a Honda Civic? Both products will get you the same place, one just might do it a little faster and turn a few more heads (well, ok, in the car analogy, a lot more heads).

Seriously though, I don't think anybody here will be able to quantify the percentages of gas dissovlement in the pollen diffusers or the accurace of drop checkers or any of that.

On area that there seems to be a consenus that ADA excels is the substrate. Aquasoil is, of course, the substrate of choice of a lot of people with a lot of annecdotal evidence that it grows certain plants faster.

As far as the other products go, I think a lot of people that can afford it want the top of the line product and have a comfort level that ADA is extremely high quality. Whether or not their pollen diffusors are going to produce better results are not, I doubt that will ever be proven.

Go with what you feel comfortable spending the money for.

I have no ADA products other than Aquasoil.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I have to agree with Soltice about the Aquasoil. It's worth the not-so-outragous price it's sold for. I also really like the Pollen Glass diffusers, they're awesome.

·
Doesn't like Kool-Aid
10,125 Posts
This subject has been asked so many times and it always ends up in a brawl. :icon_roll No offense to the original poster, but I am just tired of this topic.

PREDICTION:

There will be a bunch of people who own ADA and will say it is worth it. There will be a bunch of people who don't own ADA and they will say it is not worth it.

There will be a fight.

The thread will be locked.

END PREDICTION

:icon_wink

Mike

·
Registered
562 Posts
hehehehe... listen to the frog, it's not easy being green, y'know.

I'm currently using sand, I don't know if Aquasoil is "worth it" but it's hard to find out when you can't, y'know? I say: go with what feels right for you, and with what you can afford. Seriously, though, if I had purchased/aquired all the stuff I have new, and of ADA quality, it would be well over two or three months pay for me, rather than the mere quarter of a month. I'm not going to itemize expenses or anything, let's just say I'd like to do aqua soil because I think it looks super neat and it would probably be better for my plants and maybe even my fish......... but I currently use play sand (3.29$/50lbs), fertilized by my fishes... things are going OK so far....... no deaths of fish, plants stay rooted, need to do a water change and am afraid of clouding the water up again, but otherwise fine. :)

Alyssa's two cents inserted here.

·
planted tank sickness
799 Posts
ADA is stuff is expensive...

i have read many articles translated out of aquajournals, and can honestly say... i dont think ADA or Amano cares if you can afford it or not. ADA is trying to provide the best looking and best functioning products possible for the planted tank, WITHOUT regard to cost.

ADA doesn't want to be the cheapest, infact i bet they want to be the most expensive, they want to be the Rolls Royce of aquarium equipment.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Even without ever trying ADA, i love thier products. my next project will include AS, so i eventually will have a reference point.
While the substrate and layout stuff isn't that expensive, some of it is. 90$ for a tweezer? It better have a laser guidance system onboard.

Their aquariums are expemsive too, but that's typical of non standard tanks.

·
Registered
845 Posts
Dufus: "90$ for a tweezer? It better have a laser guidance system onboard."

LOL If only!!!

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
It's not that hard to understand-- really it's simple :)

Just like with my plant sales-- You can't complain about service/insurance when you're paying 1/4th or less of what you'd pay from a real supplier. :D

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Try it, you'll never go back.
This isnt completely true. We as a group have a lot of ADA stuff in and around our tanks. Some fo the stuff is completely over priced for regular products and we wish we never spent the money.

Let me highlight this to not seem negative.....because over-all i love the stuff!!!

Some of it IS exceptional and very fairly priced and we will never go back.

Some of the things that are absolutely worth it include....

Aquasoil
Tanks
Wood tight

The stuff that is great has never been called anything other then great. Stick with that stuff and you will have a love affair with ADA like the rest of us.:)

jB

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Some of the things that are absolutely worth it include....

Aquasoil
Tanks
Wood tight
Jason, it's interesting that you list the wood tight! I always thought those things were just brown twist tops!? (like the kind you use to close a trash bag) Are they really different? :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,026 Posts
Jason, it's interesting that you list the wood tight! I always thought those things were just brown twist tops!? (like the kind you use to close a trash bag) Are they really different? :confused:
You know Steven, they really arent much more then that. But they come in a continuous roll with a nifty cutting device. I swear just the whole set up is sweet. You can always make the length you want and just snap it to the right size:) Plus its brown....which does match wood. Im not going to say you cant achieve the same without them.....it really isnt in a league with AS or the tanks, but i just find it so helpful and fast.

jB

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I don't have anything ada, but I'd like to try aquasoil on my next tank...and 1 day I WILL have an ada tank hehe:proud:

·
Registered
174 Posts
I got the the whole ADA mini s system for christmas, and I gotta say it has some pros and cons. I was going to throw this into my journal, but I have been experiencing the biggest con of the all....my photography can't do the system justice, so I have to learn a new skill besides aquascaping lol. I'll figure it out though.

Heres a quick list of what I've delt with

Pros
Tank
-The tank edges and joints are perfectly "machined" at nice small angles
-The glass is really clear
-Size is good for nano, nice and challenging
Cons
-Price i guess, but I think the tank is reasonably priced.

Light
Pros
-Astetically(sp?) pleasing.
-No blinding, leaking light, it all goes into the tank
-Good color spectrum
-Grows what I got in there...HC,Hairgrass,crypt, ludwigia
-Swivels out of the way
Cons
-Price!
-It has a dead spot at the left where the hinge is attached. So light shines directly into the tank about 2-3 inches to the right and goes all the way to the right edge.
-Slightly unstable due when swiveling it due to the two tubes. ie you have to be carefull not to torque it around to much.

Lily Pipes
Pros
-Cool look, really cool look
-On the intake side, the slits don't overdo the suction. I have seen shrimp and ottos escape from the slit without being sucked in.
-Fairly strong. I have been rough with them taking them in and out a couple of times on accident.

Cons
-Cleaning, there not dirty yet, but I imagine they will be and that scares me some.
-No suction cups, so the tube pulls the output away from the outside of the tank a bit, which actually works out ok, because it shoots the flow down. And don't think you can squeeze one under there, the tollerances are too tight.

Diffusor (pollen glass)
Pros
-not many with the nano
Cons
-Ottos will get stuck in it like the warning says. (Had to rescue one already)
-It's really TALL so in the nano it's sits way to high to get good diffusion
-The bottom joint should be bent, it isn't and so my hose is kinked
The pollen glass is comming out and a inline reactor is being built. I just don't think these little tanks have the vertical water collum and space for a diffusor.

Bubble counter
Pros
-It does what it should and looks really good at the side of my tank
Cons
-Cost

As I sit hear and relax in front of my tank, my vote is that ADA is a good value. Other tanks are going to come and go, this one is here to stay. My theory with this tank, is that it complements that aquascape inside. And once I get that stupid wart of a pollen glass out from under the intake and rip its stupid hose that is creeping up the side, I'm going to be really happy with it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
Thanks for the info Jason, it's good to know! I don't have a tank big enough to make really good use of bolbitis, microsorium or nanas (IMO) but when I try them in a bigger tank one day I'll be sure to keep that in mind. :)

·
Registered
166 Posts
I would really like to try their substrate and I love the look of their tanks but sadly they don't ship to PR. :icon_cry:

1 - 20 of 50 Posts